Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Vanished Email (Win 98SE & Office 2k)

I recently installed a hard drive which I made my bootup HD. I kept the old hard drive to use as backup. The old HD has a couple of gift certificates for an online store which I know are still good. Unfortunately, when I open the old drive which is now drive D, I can't locate my email files. I tried using Find in D with "containing text" gift certificate and also another search with the name of the store. The system pulls up some email and system files but the two emails I'm looking for.

Can someone suggest how to locate these folders?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The Vanished Email (Win 98SE & Office 2k)

search for *.pst. then do a file | open from outlook and browse to that location.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Now I know how to find email!

However, I discovered I have a problem. When I tried to open the file (with outlook), I found only garbled stuff. Does this mean there is a virus in those Outlook files?

Is there anything I can do to recover the text?

Thank you.

Maria

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i don't think it's a virus - and you are using the file | open | personal folders menu to add it to your profile? (use view | folder list to see it in the folder tree and expand the folders it contains)

exactly what do you mean by garbled?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am unable to open the folder in any way. When I open with Outlook, I get a blank email form with the icon and word outlook in the body of the "email". When I try to open with Winword or Word Pad I get a bunch of "tall" squares. Except for a few words which are repeated in different parts like column break, the whole thing is in those squares. I tried to copy those squares here a few days ago and I discovered this whole page became filled with them. This does seem like a virus to me.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am unable to open the folder in any way. When I open with Outlook, I get a blank email form with the icon and word outlook in the body of the "email". When I try to open with Winword or Word Pad I get a bunch of "tall" squares. Except for a few words which are repeated in different parts like column break, the whole thing is in those squares. I tried to copy those squares here a few days ago and I discovered most of this page became filled with them. It scared me enough that I quickly got offline!