5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Server Security Issues with XP (XP)

I have been tasked with researching potential network server security issues with Office XP. We are currently running Office 97, and our Network guys don't want to upgrade to Office XP because they have heard that there are security problems with XP. I'm going to do some internet searches on it, but am hoping you guys know of some sites I can go to that will address this issue.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Server Security Issues with XP (XP)

We haven't widely deployed XP ourselves, but this is more because of cost and bugginess concerns than security concerns.

All MS software seems to need regular patching, and every new feature creates the potential for new vulnerabilities. That said, those vulnerabilities are generally on the user's PC and not on the server, unless you install server-side component such as Office Web Components. I think that the burden of showing risks to computers on which the software will not even be installed (or even coming up with a good theory about those risks) should be on the "Network guys," because otherwise you are in the virtually impossible situation of trying to research something that, as far as I know, no one is talking about.

If you do want to make a good faith effort to do research, one place to check would be the security bulletins on Technet that deal with Office in its various flavors. These are the fixed problems, in most cases, so I'm not sure they are reason for holding back. Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We just finished our rollout to 4,000+ computers of Office XP. I don't have any idea what security issues your network folks are referring to unless it is the Outlook e-mail client. This is closely integrated with Internet Explorer and IE has, indeed, been patched numerous times to patch security holes. I was in charge of hte Office XP upgrade and have read the Resource Kit from cover to cover, as well as referencing a number of other books on the subject. I would ask your network guys for "specifics" when they refer to security flaws here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you. I haven't heard of any problems myself, and I don't sincerely believe the network guys aren't just trying to control something they don't need to. In any case, I appreciate the feedback.

Elaine, on the PCs you upgraded, what OS are you running?

New Lounger
    Thanks

We're running Windows 2000 on the desktops. We're still on Windows NT on the network side but are in the process of upgrading to Windows 2000 and implementing Active Directory.

For security purposes, we use Symantec's Norton AntiVirus on the desktops and servers and Trend on our Exchange mail server in addition to a CheckPoint firewall.