Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

.xla addin - any advantage? (Excel-2000)-MULTI-.xla addin

I've been trying to glean some information on saving a workbook as an add-in. From what I can tell, there is very little difference between this and a .xls in versions 97 onwards.

Are there any advantages (size, performance, security etc.) in saving as an .xla rather than .xls?

thanks

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .xla addin - any advantage? (Excel-2000)-MULTI-.xla addin

Well, in XL2K there are some really big differences, and I think that most of those also apply to 97.

1- The worksheets are not saved in a .XLA file, only the code modules.

2- When you open a .xla file, almost all of the menu commands are disabled. You can't change almost everthing, and even if you could you can Save the changes.

.xla fomat is meant for saving functions that can be shared by many other workbooks, it was not meant to save workbooks.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .xla addin - any advantage? (Excel-2000)-MULTI-.xl

Thanks Legare. The differences I was thinking about were in terms of faster, compiled code and the level of protection afforded to the code. These aspects seem to be addressed in the same ways for .xls and .xla in 97 onwards.

From what you say, the .xla format would be inappropriate for my application, since there is not a great deal of code, and the bulk of the file size is in the data.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .xla addin - any advantage? (Excel-2000)-MULTI-.xl

There should be no difference in the compiled code, and the same level of protection for code is available in both (not very good by the way).
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .xla addin - any advantage? (Excel-2000)-MULTI-.xla addin

Hi legare,

Not entirely precise.

1: Worksheets *are* saved with the XLA, but there is no way of looking at them from the user interface. You *can* copy a worksheet from an add-in into a normal workbook and thus show it. Also (of course) you can access the contents of the sheet(s) using code.

2: You *can* save changes to an add-in (Thisworkbook.save), using the save command from the VBE. But in my experience, saving from the VBE can cause trouble (workbooks or add-ins not being saved or being saved to a completely different name!!).
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association