3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Section breaks (Word 97, SR2)

OK, I know it may be a "known issue" from previous posts but I'm sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this. So if anyone has a 'solution' I'd be very grateful:
    New word document, starts off with standard paragraph of text.
    Followed by section break continuous.
    Next is paragraph of text (I'll call it Para2)
    Followed by another section break continuous.
    These two section breaks and the text in between are bookmarked as MyInstructions
    Next is standard pages of text.
    Next is cross reference where Bookmark text is inserted.

Document is saved and protected as a form with section 2 (Para2) not protected.

The intention is that the user will open the document, read the first paragraph without being able to change it.
    Go to the second paragraph (Para2), and whatever heshe enters into the unprotected section will be repeated further on in the document.

BUT------- When the document is protected as a form, the second section break changes from a
    "section break continuous"
    to
    "section break next page"
    When the form is unprotected, the section break does not return to continuous until it is changed back, then when reprotected - it changes again.
    Driving me nuts.

TIA
    Alan
    Cheshire
    UK

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section breaks (Word 97, SR2)

Hi Alan:
    Before you insert your breaks, go into File/Page Setup/Layout tab & make sure the default section isn't set for New Page section breaks as the default. If it is, change it to continuous.

Also, why are you inlcuding both section breaks in your bookmark? You only need to bookmark the text. When you insert a cross-reference to a bookmark that includes a section break, it places section breaks in the cross-reference & can change section formatting.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil,
    Unfortunately I have quite a few variations on the continuousnext page break scenario in the document and once I get one of the breaks to stay as it is, the next time the document is protected one of the other breaks goes and, well, "breaks". I think I may have resolved a couple of the breaks by the following method:
    add two or three hard returns at the position I want the break,
    change the paragraph format of each return so as it does not have widoworphan, keep with next etcetera,
    insert the break in the midst of the hard returns.
    This worked for a couple of the breaks, particularly those in the bookmarks.

My other 'solution' was to insert two breaks, one next page followed immediately by a continuous break. It's untidy and kind of like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it works (for some) until the breaks decide to change again.

The reason for placing the section breaks in the bookmark - was not to place the section breaks in the bookmark but to place the bookmark startfinish in protected sections. Unfortunately, the users to whom this document is going to includes a minority who take great delight in pulling apart documents and generally trashing the formats and links etcetera. Others just basically don't understand the documents and whilst having bookmarks turned on (showing the square brackets) delete all the unwanted square brackets - even after we explained that they do not appear on the printed page. Also, some of the bookmarks are within table cells and when the user enters data they use tab to move along cell entries, unfortunately, moving into a cell in this method overwrites the cell contents~a bookmark. c'est la vie.

So, it's kind of solved in part, but still does not work as intended with basically inserting a break and not having it change format when protected.

If a solution is available I'd be most grateful.

Thanks
    Alan
    Cheshre
    UK

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    Well, I see you're reason for including the section breaks, although it does create problems. Educating users is the real issue. In any event, there may be a VBA way of preventing users from ticking Tools/Options/View/Bookmarks. (I am not a VBA expert, but you might ask over on the VBA board.) However, bookmarks are delicate, even if users don't delete them deliberately. If you position the cursor at the end of a bookmarked section & type, you actually are typing outside the bookmark. If you delete all the text, you delete the bookmark. So even if users can't see the brackets, they may delete them anyway. However, you should be able to change all section breaks to continuous by going to File/Page Setup/Layout tab & choosing continuous section breaks & make sure that the apply to box says "whole document".

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers Phil,
    I have now resolved myself to the fact that the section breaks must really be held outside of any bookmarks and am currently introducing the users to my new friend Mr 3 by 4 plank of finest Scottish Pine. With regards to the continuous section breaks, my doc is made up of various continuous and new section breaks so setting a default to one is opposed the others in the document.
    I also found that by clearing the "widoworphan" and "keep with next" paragraph settings I cleared most of the errors.
    However, success on the protection front and the document is now working almost as intended. there is now an additional problem with page numbering - subject of a separate post.
    Many thanks again for your time and effort.
    Alan
    Cheshire
    UK