2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 Contacts

My assistant keeps our Outlook Contacts up to date, but when I try to import her latest update into my copy of Outlook all the details she has entered copies across except the Passwords of users of our web site.
    How can I get the passwords to copy over as well please.[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 Contacts

Hi Noel,

I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you store the password information in your Contacts? Do you use a specific field?

2) Which version of Outlook are you using?

Colin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding Colin.

We store the access details for users of our web site in two User Defined fields - one called Username and the other called Password. I should explain that we keep all contact details etc for the same people in the one Contacts block (group - not sure what to call it).

The weird thing is that all fields other than the Password field copy across to me - only the Password field shows blank in my copy of Outlook after I have imported all my assistant's Contact details.

We are both using Outlook 2000 and both running Windows 2000.

Hope that helps.
    Noel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Well, Colin, that clearly describes our problem - so no wonder it did not work. We will try your suggestion.

But one does wonder (again) about the mentality of MS giving us products that will not act as one might reasonably expect.

Thank you so much for your help - you are marvellous.

Noel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again Noel,

The following article from Microsoft's Knowledge Base explains some problems regarding Import/Export of Contacts. Seemingly it is advantageous to use the pre-defined user fields instead of creating new fields as you have done. I don't know if the same problem applies when you copy Contacts from one folder to another - it may be worth trying to use these fields instead.

Good luck!

OL2000: Cannot Import or Export User-Defined Contact Fields

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Outlook 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    Using Outlook, you cannot import or export user-defined fields from or into other file formats using the Import and Export command on the File menu. This is true of user-defined fields in all Outlook items.

CAUSE
    User defined fields are visible only in the Outlook viewer. These fields do not appear in the Outlook internal name list, therefore they are not exported.

RESOLUTION

Importing User-defined Fields
    You can import data into four general Outlook fields called User Field 1, User Field 2, User Field 3, and User Field 4. These fields are available in a Contact record on the All Fields tab under Miscellaneous fields. For additional information about programmatically importing user-defined fields, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q208232 OL2000: Programmatically Import Outlook Items from MS Access

Exporting User-defined Fields
    To export user-defined fields from your Contacts, define a Table view of the Contacts containing the user-defined fields. Then copy the contacts from Outlook and paste them into Microsoft Excel where you can save them in a variety of formats.