3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glitch with Excel 97 and Windows XP (Excel 97)

I'm just starting to use a new P4 2.2 system with Windows XP Home. I've installed my old version of Excel 97 and all seems to work fine except one glitch.

I keep shortcuts on my desktop to several Excel files that I use repeatedly. In Windows Explorer I've just found the file, highlighted it and right clicked on SEND TO, DESKTOP (Create shortcut). This always worked fine on my Windows 98 SE system.

Now, though, when I click on the file icon on the desktop I get an error message when Excel opens. It says the file is already open and I cannot have 2 copies of a file with the same name open. The file is on screen and all I have to do is press OK to get rid of the error message and I can use the file. It's as though when I click the shortcut Excel is trying to open the file twice. I've looked around in the Excel PREFERENCES but don't see anything that seems related.

Known problem....is there a fix?

Thanks to you all,
    BH Davis

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Glitch with Excel 97 and Windows XP (Excel 97)

Try:

Start (Start button), Run, type:
    [path to excel]EXCEL.EXE /Regserver

If that does not help, in XL: Tools, options, general, uncheck ignore other applications.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am looking forward to trying Jan Karel's suggestion. By the way, this issue has nothing to do with Send To, Desktop (as shortcut); it happens regardless of how you open the file. It also happens in Word too, but with Word, you get an OK/Cancel dialog (Excel gives OK only), where OK creates a copy and opens that (which is awkward, especially if you actually want to edit the original), and Cancel opens the file you wanted originally.

It is mostly just an annoyance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan,

"Ignore other applications" was NOT checked, but I checked it just to see what would happend and that did not correct the problem.

When I type "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeEXCEL.EXE /Regserver" into the START/RUN window I get a "file not found" error message. Without the "/Regserver" switch it opens Excel just fine. I've tried with and without a space in front of the "/". I've also tried a backslash....

Jim,
    Actually, I can open the files fine if Excel is already running. I just can't open them properly from the desktop icons. Also, I have a macro that re-opens one of the files to give me a "clean" form. That works properly if I opened the file originally within Excel, but works like the desktop icon startups if I've started from one of the desktop icons originally.

Weird stuff.

BH Davis

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Open Windows Explorer. From the Tools Menu select Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab and scroll the list down until you find "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" and click on that. Click on the Advanced button at the bottom of the screen (buttons may be a little different that Windows 2000 which I am looking at to get these steps). In the list of Actions, click on Open. Click on the Edit button. What you do next depends on if "Use DDE" is checked or not checked. If it is checked, then look at the Text Box "Application used to perform this action:" and see if there is a "%1" or ("%1") on the command line. If there is, delete it. If "Use DDE" is not checked, then see if the "%1" or ("%1") is on the command line twice. If so, delete one of them.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

HI,

Sorry about that, got the quotes wrong.

It should read:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeEXCEL.EXE" /Regserver
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan,

WOW......OUTSTANDING..........that did the trick. After fighting the thing for several hours over the last couple of days you can imagine my amazement when I clicked the icon this morning and the file started up correctly!!!!!

I replaced EXCEL with WINWORD and it fixed the Word file start up problems as well.

Now, if you don't mind taking another moment here, could you tell me what the command did. When I pressed RUN nothing came on screen at all....just a momentary pause as the computer did something in the background.

Thank you, thank you,

BH Davis

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I understand, it forces Excel to check its registry entries (and fixes them).
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com