New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Receive Certain Attachments (6.0)

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question, but I really need a helping hand.

Our non-profit organization supports missionary-type people around the world. Somehow, I have been elected to try to assist a user in Asia with a problem he has been having. He is running OE 6 and cannot receive certain attachments, such as PDF files. He is able to open PDF files from the Web, but when they are sent as attachments, OE seems to be throwing them away.

At first, he reported that Norton Anti-Virus was throwing away the file, but I had him remove PDF files from Norton's scanning options. As far as I can tell, he is unable to receive the attachments in OE.

I use Outlook, not OE, so I am not up on the ins and outs of OE. It sounds like he has the draconian MS Security Patch installed. I thought about sending him Ken Slovak's ATTOPT utility, but I believe that only works with Outlook, and not OE.

So, OE gurus, what do I need to do to help this guy? Can OE 6 be configured to block certain file extensions? If so, how do I have him modify the list?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

bob rench

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Receive Certain Attachments (6.0)

Check under Tools>Options
    On the security tab there is an option to prevent files that could potentially contain a virus from being opened or saved. I don't know if OE will block PDFs, Outlook does not.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Receive Certain Attachments (6.0)

Thank you. I passed your information on to the user, and he turned off that functionality. Now, he can receive .PDF files. Thank you again for your help.