2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Where-Used Documentor (97/2k)

I have inherited an Access database for Maintenance purposes. And of course there is little or no documentation or comments in the code. (Surprise Surprise). There are quite a number of Queries, Forms, Tables and Macros, which appear to be surplus to requirements. At least I cant find where they are used. I am reluctant to delete them in case I damage the database, but need to understand what they are for. The MS Access documentor only looks at the structure by analysing tables queries reports etc, but does not tell me where they are used.

Can anyone advise where I can get some kind of reverse documentor that will help ??

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Where-Used Documentor (97/2k)

Two products come to mind. The first is Total Access which is available from FMS, Inc. I believe. It will document things from soup to nuts, and has a cross-reference report which shows what is used where. It does however cost a bit more than a product call Speed Ferrett. The latter will find everywhere that a specific text string is used. So you have to go through items one by one and determine if and where they are used. (It also will rename things globally in Access 97). There are also some shareware/freeware tools out there that have some basic capabilities, but I haven't used them.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    I know this is an old post, but I found an Add-In which appears to fit the bill. The best part is that it is freeware. The product is called NJHtools
    the URL is http://home.wanadoo.nl.

It also has lots of other tools. Have only looked at the Where used listing, (It creates a table) But it gives a cross reference of where objects are used. Just what I wanted.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

check out ezy documentor by www.aadconsulting.cjb.net
    It is also free and they also have a bunch of other free tolls

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I looked at that link, but could not find any mention of the add-in you referred to. The software link took me to tucows, but the NJHtools wasn't to be found there either. You might want to post a more specific link.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Devious

In addition to all the other suggestions, I always find it helpful to sit down with end users and document their daily, monthly, etc. procedures. This will hopefully lead you to switchboards, menus and other hoops they jump through to get the job done. This will also allow you tell which objects are not being used.

Better yet have the operators document their own procedures and you can verify, this can be the basis of a user manual that will documnt the system and be used as a training tool for new users.

HTH

John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is strange Charlotte, the link appears to be different to what I remember posting yesterday. Hmmm maybe my memory is going.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try here:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/njh/download_tools97.htm

Edited by Charlotte to activate link