3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD Read Only (Sony Hotburn 1.2.1)

I am new to downloading to a CD. I downloaded photos to a CD-R disc and now when I want to go back and delete some of the photos, it says that the file is read only. When I formated the disc, I did it as a data disk. What am I doing wrong? I have a CD-RW drive
    lynndelap

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Read Only (Sony Hotburn 1.2.1)

When you finish a recording session on a cdr, it normally is then closed which means you cannot change it. Even if still open a file deleted off a cdr will not make that space available again. CDRWs on the other hand work like hard disks. Data can be copied to them and deleted and new data copied etc although their life span is not indefinite. Now that the prices of CDRW disks are not much more than CDRs they are a cost effective option for storing data.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

However, there are still drives out there that can't always read CD-RW disks.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

and considering the price of cdr media (usually 1/3 the cost of cdrw or less), it's better just to use it and not delete old files.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quite true though most modern drives, especially those with Multiread, can. There is a piece of free software from Roxio that will assist with reading CDRW disks. Whilst it won't always work it is worth a try. I have burner at work and combined with fast internet access, it is much better to download at work copy to CDRW and take home for installing or whatever. Works a treat in my case anyway.