3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing from Office 97 Problem (Office 97)

I've just installed Office 97 (Word and Excel only) on a new P4 2.2 Windows XP system. Everything is going well now except for a printing issue.

This problem occurs if I'm printing a file, and I want to use the SAVE or OPEN FILE window while the printing is taking place (HP 860 Cse printer).

The issue is that the SAVE or OPEN FILE window takes an excessively long time to display the directory/file structure...as though the cpu has full concentration on printing and cannot take a moment to display the file structure for me. This problem does not occur while printing from any other program.

It is not a completely new problem to me. In Windows 98 I had to make sure my older 16bit version of Bitware Fax was closed or the OPEN / SAVE FILE windows acted the same way. So it seems to be some sort of printer port related problem.

I have experimented with various settings suggested in the TOOLS, OPTIONS, PRINT window in Excel with no effect on the probem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    BH Davis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing from Office 97 Problem (Office 97)

Sheesh...sorry typo....HP 870 Cse printer....although I really don't think that is part of the problem.

BH Davis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One thought is that Background Printing isn't turned on. In Word go to Tools Options and the Print Tab. make sure Background Printing has a tick beside it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it both ways, with BACKGROUND PRINTING both ON and OFF. Made no difference.

Thanks,
    BH Davis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The only other thing that I can think of then is Printer Drivers. Given how fussy XP is with drivers, do you have the latest abd are they certified by Micro$oft??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mike,

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier here...I did somewhere....and should have if I didn't.

The problem ONLY occurs in OFFICE 97 apps. So, I have no printing related problems in AutoCAD, Print Shop etc.

BH Davis