3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Limiting Cookie Space (Win ME; IE 5.5.4807 SP2)

Is there a way to limit the amount of disk space for cookies? I looked at my cookies folder and found many that are 'accidentals' and are unlikely to be useful in the future. Can I set an option that says allow x-number of cookies that will keep the most current and drop the oldest? IE help is useless on this topic.

TIA.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limiting Cookie Space (Win ME; IE 5.5.4807 SP2)

It depends on what you are really trying to do. Each cookie is a very small file -- so it does not use a lot of space. The average size of a cookie ranges from 50-150 bytes -- it would take almost 20 million cookies to fill up a 2GB drive.

In theory, the amount of space Windows allots to cookies is shared with the space it allows for Temporary Internal File storage (AKA, your Internet Cache). By default, this is supposed to be at 2% of your hard drive. This can be modified by adjusting the size of the "TIF" under Tools|Internet Options...|Temporary Internet Files|Settings. So it is very unlikey that "space" will be your problem with cookies.

However, you may want to limit cookies for Security/Privacy reasons. IE comes with various options, plus there are third party programs (Jason Levine's CookieJar, AnalogX's CookieWall, and CookiePal). I personally feel that you should consider limiting cookies for this reason -- and not to save space...