New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 with Office 2k (97 vs 2000)

My work uses Office 97and I prefer Office 2000. I plug into the network at work (that has 97) through my laptop (that has office 2000) and I discovered today that my database that I built and maintain in Access 2000 will not open when I try to use it on the work network. Any suggestions besides partitioning to include both Office versions on my laptop?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 with Office 2k (97 vs 2000)

You will need to install both versions of Office on your laptop, but you don't need to partition. Check out article Q241141 in the MSKB.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Mark ......

Make sure you choose to install Office 2000 in a different folder (I use C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office2k).
    Also make sure you choose to "keep older version" during setup.

RDH
    Ricky Hicks
    Microsoft MVP
    Birmingham, Alabama USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I also agree - I have 3 versions of Access on one of my machines (97/2000/2002). They are all installed into separate folders and get along quite nicely!

I've applied a bit of a hack in order to select which version of Access I want to open any given database with and also to know which version of Access is currently the prominent one. Check this post for the picture and this post for the details.

HTH[thubmp]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is an added note to installing Office XP (2002) on a machine with Office 2000 already installed ......

I also have all 3 versions installed on my development machine.

You do not have to install Office/Access 2002(XP) in a seperate folder when Office/Access 2000 is already installed on the machine.

You simply choose to keep earlier versions and "XP" will create and install itself within subfolders in the same folder where Office 2000 resides. This scared me the first time I attemped this, but have done it many times since then with no problems.

RDH
    Ricky Hicks
    Microsoft MVP
    Birmingham, Alabama USA

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure if I should post a new topic ... but the title is appropriate (apologies if I am wrong).

I have a number of applications which I have developed with Access97 and distribute using the ODE 97(Developer Edition).

Are there going to be issues for my users if/when they install Access2000 before or after they install my ODE application? Are there steps I can or should take in preparing the distribution?

Thanks.
    Geoff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you can do in these circumstances. After all, if you have installed your app, then user installs A2000, you have no control over what they do (especially if they decide to accept the invitation to "clean up" prior versions). Any shortcuts to your database should be done using the location of Access itself, and not just the database. That is, while just creating a short cut of "C:...path...myDatabase.mdb" will work initially, if A2000 is installed later, then it will try to use that to open your database. You shortcut should be more like:

"C:..path to A97..msaccess.exe" "c:...path...mydatabase.mdb"
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.