New Lounger
    Thanks

'Server Gated Cryptography for IE5' update (WIN98se, IE 5.5 sp2)

WIN98se, IE 5.5 sp2

According to the CNET Catchup security status report, I need the "Server Gated Cryptography for IE5" update.

Windows Update does not make this indication.

My current version of Schannel.dll is 5.00.1877.6. The upgrade version is 5.00.1877.9.

The Microsoft SGC Connections Knowledge Base Article (Q249863)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q249863

shows the latest IE version this update applies to is "IE 5.01, for Windows 98 Second Edition." It also states that it applies to "Windows 98 Second Edition" by itself.

Is this update superceeded by IE 5.5sp2? If so, why do I have the older Schannel.dll?

Can anyone verify whether this upgrade properly applies to me?

Thx

J

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Server Gated Cryptography for IE5' update (WIN98se, IE 5.5 sp2)

The need for this update cannot be great. The Cnet page says:

"Some computers may be unable to connect to Web servers using SGC for strong encryption when a secure connection is required. This problem occurs in the security provider Schannel.dll file, which is used in Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft Internet Explorer, when you connect to a site that uses SGC to do high encryption, and the export cipher suite uses one hash algorithm and the domestic cipher suite uses another. In this situation, the Schannel.dll file occasionally selects the wrong algorithm, which results in a failed connection. Installing this update will eliminate these connection failures."

Their wording appears to have come from the MSKB article. That article also states:

"A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem described in this article and should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem.

This hotfix has been posted to the following Internet locations:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...nel/Default.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloa...itical/Schannel"

So, while it is does not appear on Windows Update, MS does recommend this IF your system is "experiencing this specific problem". MS even calls this "Critical Update March 3, 2000" so it may have appeared on Windows update back then...

I find no reference to IE5.5 fixing this issue -- and if it did I would have thought the version number on schannel.dll would be higher than the one used for 5.01. However, since MS no longer considers this a Critical Update, it seems like the problem is no longer present... Who bloody knows!

Sorry for rambling, but perhpas this clarifies the situation for someone else...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Server Gated Cryptography for IE5' update (WIN98se, IE 5.5 sp2)

Hey RM

Thanks for your time. More people should ramble that articulately.

I suspect that you are quite correct. In the past 15 months I have reinstalled my OS numerous times, & no subsequent visit to WU has ever netted this update. So it appears to have been without the critical update tag for some time, and its description does not really appear to meet the typical criteria of a critical update.

Maybe the seriousness of the issue or lack of same could be more easily assessed if MS had simply included in the article the answer to, what is for me, the most obvious question: How do you know if you are experiencing the specific problem or not? Does some sort of unique error message appear when a connection fails under these circumstances? Is there some other way of separating and identifying this type of failed connection from all the rest?

I mean, how do you know if you are "experiencing this specific problem" if no one tells you exactly how it is manifested?

Probably getting worked up over nothing......Who bloody knows, indeed!

Rgds

J