Lounger
    Thanks

WindowsXP & IE (Windows XP)

I don't know if it is a problem with Windows XP or just Internet Explorer 6.0 but Explorer does strange
    things now, which it did not do when I was running Windows 98 SE. In the menu bar I have the links, in
    which I have several folders that I can click and get drop down menus of some particular web sites I visit.
    Now when I have several windows open, of course they all line up across the taskbar or stack if there are
    enough. Works great except I have noticed that if I have, say three windows open on the task bar and
    select the right window, then try to go to another site using the menu bar links, the new site opens in
    the left hand window, not the one I intended to change. But if I select Favorites from the upper menu,
    and the left side window opens showing my Favorites, and I click on Links, and open the folder and select
    the same web site, it will open in the right window, the one I wanted to have it open in. In other words,
    I can do what I want using the left side Favorites dropdown menu, which reduced my main window size, but can't do the same action if I use the Links on the menu bar. I would like to fix this problem with the menu bar which becomes useless when I am trying to use several windows interactively as I
    keep losing windows that I want open and keeping windows that I want to close.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: WindowsXP & IE (Windows XP)

On my systems when I use the "Links" tool bar or the "Favorites" pane or the menu the new or selected web page will open in the current or active pane. If I have 2 or more IE windows opened, each will have copy of the link tool bar and Favorites pane and menu. So which ever copy you select to use is the one in which the web page will open in. This has been the same for me since Windows 98 and IE5.0 and on to Window 2K, Me, XP and any combination of IE 5.0, 5.05, 5.5 and 6.0

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Dave:
    That is what I expect to happen, but not what happens. That is why I am frustrated. Yes, it works like that in the Favorites pane, but not the menu bar. Now, I used to use Netscape and that worked like you describe, and in Windows 98, IE-6.0, it worked that way, but for some reason for the last several weeks, what I describe is what happens and I can find no reason for it to happen. I repeat, the Favorites pane works like it should but not the menu bar.

CBS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Post a screen shot of your pane arrangment, so we can see how you have things spread on your screen.

Lounger
    Thanks

My keyboard is old and Print Screen doesn't work like Windows XP would like, so I got a shareware called Screen Shot Maker for this shot. That is why the scroll across the screen.

CBS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I was asking for a screen shoot of when you have several sessions of IE open and the arrangement that you discribed in the first of the thread.

As for your "Print Scrn" not working, all one needs to do is use the "Ctrl-PrintScrn" or the 'Alt-PrintScrn" and then paste (Ctrl-v) the screen shot into a graphic program and then save as a jpg file..

Lounger
    Thanks

Dave:

I am having problems with the lounge access I think. I am trying to send attachments, but the files are larger than 100K and I think that causes my computer to crash. Also, I am having trouble moving about the lounge screens and think that it is getting too complicated. I reduced my screen resolution and color density and still the files are large. Zipping does not seem to help. Anyway, it is a persistent problem and I will play with things, hoping to fix it soon. One thing is possibly the problem. When I loaded XP onto this computer I still had a residual IE running in an Earthlink folder. That is where the IE resides and of course I cannot delete it and reload IE. It is possible that this is the problem but I am not ready to uninstall XP and go through all the hassle of reloading all my programs. I may explore the option of looking into the Windows Registry to see if I can get rid of the Earthlink stuff and reinstall IE, but I don't know if that will work anyway. I don't mind playing with the Windows Registry as I keep things backed up and have done cold starts before. But it is frustrating to have IE behave like this and not to be able to easily uninstall the MS programs to reinstall them. MS acts like HP used to do with their stuff, if we designe it that way, it is how you should use the computer, no matter how you want to use it.

CBS

Lounger
    Thanks

Dave:

I realize that what I was calling the menu bar is called the Links Bar by MS. It just doesn't work the same as the drop-down window you get when you click on the Favorites icon in the bar, second down- whatever it is called. I think that either it is a known vagarity of IE or something new. Either there is a toggle which will change how that Links Bar works, or there is a problem with how the program responds to a given setting. Like, can you have folders in the Links Bar? Well, you can have them, but maybe there are too many URLs in the folder; not so as I reduced the number. Anyway, I am having problems sending screen shots; having problems getting file size low enough to send. I am trying to find something in the MS Knowledge Base which may give me a clue.

CBS