Star Lounger
    Thanks

limit access to sheets (Excel 97)

I have been given another learning "opportunity" by my co-workers. They want to know if it's possible to have certain sheets within a workbook hidden from some users while viewable and usable to others? The creator of the workbook is planning on using buttons on the primary sheet (sheet1) to allow or limit the users access to the other sheets. I have a feeling that this will require a macro in which the user ID is reviewed and access is granted or denied based on the ID. Unfortunately, I don't know how this code would be written or even if this is the best way to monitor access. Can anyone give me some guidance on how this would be done?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: limit access to sheets (Excel 97)

It's all done for you with custom views. Setup a user's view & define it with the View | Custom Views menu. You can use the Tools | Customize to drag a combobox of the different users to the toolbars. There are no hidden sheets, but you can hide all of the cells on the sheet and set the active sheet to a different sheet. Custom view stored settings include column widths, display options, window size and position on the screen, window splits or frozen panes, the sheet that is active, and the cells that are selected at the time the view is created. You can also optionally save hidden rows, hidden columns, filter settings, and print settings .You would have to write a macro to require a password. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll give this a try. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sam,

<<It's all done for you with custom views>>

I've *never* used them. Sounds interesting though.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association