2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number keys don't work (OE 5.5, Windows 98)

When I'm writing email messages, sometimes the number keys for the 2 and 3 do not work. I can press the key, but nothing appears on the screen. If I close Outlook Express and come back in to it, they'll work again. It's the most peculiar thing. I don't notice this happening in Word, the application I use most often, just Outlook Express. Are you aware of such a thing? Am I likely pressing some other key that I'm not aware of which would turn off the numbers temporarily? Is it more likely to be a keyboard problem? The other number keys seem to be OK all the time.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number keys don't work (OE 5.5, Windows 98)

The first thing I'd do is try another keyboard. If the same thing happens, you've then ruled out a bum keyboard. I suspect, however, that you'll find the problem solved.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number keys don't work (OE 5.5, Windows 98)

Yes, I figured it was probably the keyboard. Mine is a cheapie. I'll invest in a better one and see what happens. Thanks for your recommendation.