Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Made it into SDI

Whip me with a wet noodle. Now I've done it.

I was on the Word Lounge (see this post and the thread ). This had to deal with file names with spaces and Windows 98, when opening an Office document (at least Word) by double-clicking the file, stretching you over a rack when you do this. There was a reference to a MSKB article but that doesn't seem to add much to what I have below.

Last year I put a query about this on this board about the same situation with Excel, got an answer which set me off in 1 direction, and forgot about.

This year, I decided to try again when the Word lounge had the same problem.

What was happening was that if you had a file name like
    c:a bb cc di am a dummy.doc
    Excel/Word (really Windows?) would tell you
    -can't open c:adummy.doc
    -can't open c:bbdummy.doc
    -can't open c:ccdummy.doc
    etc. But you'd end up with your file opened correctly.

This year, what I did in Windows Explorer for Folder Options | File Types for the .doc and .xls extensions is uncheck the Use DDE option and added "%1" to the end of my command line for opening a document (on the line for Program to Perform This Action). Prior to this, I had Use DDE checked, with various actions, and no %1 at the end of the command line.

What I'm getting now is somewhat equivalent to the Office 2000 SDI. If I double-click a first excel (or word) file, Excel opens with the file (no problem if there are blanks in the file name). Now if I double-click a 2nd excel file, Excel opens another window with the file. Now there are lots of problems:
    - when opening the 2nd file, Excel is loading all the add-ins, so this takes extra time
    - when checking under the Window menu in either window, you do NOT see the other file
    - both windows have a Windows close X button and a document close X button, so this is somewhat different than how Office 2000 really operates.

Of course, I want to be able to have my cake and eat it too. I want to have file names with spaces and be able to double-click them to open without having the whole magilla of things that can't be open (bcs they don't really exist). I don't want all kinds of windows to open (I hate the SDI).

Help!

In addition, a few questions:
    - what is the difference between using DDE and the command line approach to opening (or printing or creating) a document?
    - what happens if both DDE is checked and the command line has a "%1" at the end? it seems like you get the above problem of lots of different combinations of invalid names being used but I'll ask to confirm.

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Made it into SDI

I have never really understood this stuff either, but I think that DDE stands for Dynamic Data Exchange and is used to allow things like Word and Excel to manage embedded and linked documents.

If it is any help then here is my settings for Excel 2000 SR1A on Windows 98, seems to work correctly.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Whip me with a wet noodle.

If you're based in California, this shouldn't present a problem.

> I want to have file names with spaces and be able to double-click them

Me too.

Below is pasted my Word97.BAT file which ought to take part whenever I Double-click on a *.DOC or a *.DOT. You'll notice the %1 right there on the command line.

My needs are, I think, similar to yours. I'm greedy.

Let me know what, if any, experiments you'd like me to conduct.

P.S. In order to conduct properly, one's noodle must be dry.

<pre>REM Word97.bat Christopher Greaves Thursday, July 1, 1999
    :: Re-create the Normal.dot prior to loading Word97

if "

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

Thks,

I think the PC in question is running Excel 97. But I'll give your settings a try.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

Thks for the offer.

I think the problem is with the PC itself. The PC with the problem is my wife's PC. It runs Win 98 and a zillion other things. The registry has 1000's of keys, a large % of which are probably no longer needed.

I tried copying the setup from my PC, where things work as greedy people would like them to work. I too run Win 98 but I don't have zillions of things on it. My PC works fine; hers, with my settings, works poorly.

So I gave up and restored things to where the office app couldn't handle names with spaces when you first open the app by double clicking (subsequent opens are fine). It's better than the SDI that I created!

Fred