2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveX Problem In Help

I'm using Outlook 2000 and anytime I open help or select anything from a help screen I get a dialog warning me that

"This page provides potentially unsafe information to an ActiveX control - - -"

Somehow I suspect the Microsoft help file should be safe, is there any way to turn this off. Having to OK these things every time I click on something in the help reader is a nuisance.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ActiveX Problem In Help

what security patches do you have installed? i thought one of them caused the problem but can't find it in the kb.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To my knowlege none of the Outlook security patch is installed. I have no problem opening attached documents or anything being stopped or modified. Help/About Outlook says I'm running version 9.0.0.2711.

I use Internet Explorer Ver. 5.00.2919.6307 and I have all the security stuff in it (and Outlook) turned down to low and all the ActiveX stuff set to enable.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

preed

Search your drive for the file, "comcat.dll". Rename all copies of it you find. That being done, reinstall Internet Explorer and reboot.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I downloaded a fresh copy of IE5.0sp1 for the reinstall. Any scoop on the best way to un-install the current copy of IE5? I went to the Add/Remove applett and it didn't give me a simple un-install. I could add, repair or restore to an earlier(?) version. If I went for the restore option it started asking me about certificates (which I don't think I've ever used) and other stuff. Can't I just rip it out by the roots?
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

preed

After renaming all copies of the comcat file, go for the repair.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I renamed the one comcat.dll I found then tried repair. It said it could not repair IE because it could not find comcat.dll. I tried "Restore the previous Windows configuration" again and this time it didn't ask me about saving all sorts of things, it just removed IE and rebooted. I then installed a fresh version of IE5.01 and rebooted again. When it came back up and went through the IE setup routine it gave me several error messages:

Can not find dllregister server in comcat.dll

An error occured calling dllregister server in C:WINNTsystem32asctrls.ocx

An error occured calling dllregister server in C:WINNTsystem32wshom.ocx

I OKed each of these and when all the dust settled started Outlook 2K again to tryout help. I still get the same activex error message I always have. (see attached file)
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like the Active X security settings have been set to disabled. Select Tools, Options, Security, Custom and check that "Run Active X controls and plug-ins" is set to prompt rather than disable. If you have the same security settings for IE as well as Outlook you should be getting the same error messages when browsing the web.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is no "Custom" under Tools, Options, Security. you need to select "Zone Settings ..." and then set the custom level for either Internet, Local Interanet, Trusted Sites or Restricted Sites. I've tried setting the "Security Level" to Low and then selecting Custom Level for both Internet and Local Interanet and then setting all the active x stuff to enable in the past and this hasn't changed anything. I've also tried to add my hard drive to "Trusted Sites" but it will only take network domains. Been there, done that, it doesn't work.

Also, What about the dllregister errors I encountered when I reinstalled IE5? (See previous posting)
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

preed

If you ended up removing IE, be sure to rename the comcat.dll afterwards. The errors from reinstalling definitely hint at a bad comcat.dll file. The comcat file, however is restored when you remove IE.

If you uninstall, rename the comcat file before reinstalling. (sorry it took so long to reply)