New Lounger
    Thanks

regclean or cleanreg?

What is the difference between RegClean by Microsoft and CleanReg3 by Armstrongs System house? Does one do a better job of cleaning your registry than the other? Is it advisable to use both?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: regclean or cleanreg?

I don't know that there is a great deal of difference between the two - all registry cleaners look for orphaned entries and remove them for you. I would presume that the Microsoft version is a little more cautious in what it deletes, but honestly it's hard to say.

My tool of choide is Norton Windoctor, part of the SystemWorks suite. It does a good job of automatically checking for registry errors and orphans and has never caused me a problem, and in conjunction with all the other tools included in SystemWorks makes for a nice package. In a perfect world you could use both tools, as they shouldn't remove anything that belongs where it is, but in the past I have always just run RegClean until it reports no errors and leave it at that.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark. I didn't know that Norton Windoctor checked the registry. I run all the utilities in Norton Systemworks and am very happy with them.

You said that Windoctor automatically checks for registry errors and orphans. Does it then correct them automatically? Every time I run Regclean it finds a dozen or so errors/orphans and cleans them for me. How can that be if Windoctor automatically cleans such things?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

WinDoctor will display the results of its registry check - along with dead sortcuts and a few other items. You can then decide whether to allow WinDoctor to fix the items automatically (my preferred method) or choose the solution for each problem it finds. I'm not certain on whether or not versions prior to SysWorks 2002 include the One-Button Checkup or not, which will perform all the actions in one fell swoop.

RegClean is most likely looking at a different area of the registry than WinDoctor. Not having researched the specifics, I do recall that RegClean examines a very narrow subset of the registry and removes a smaller number of items than WinDoctor does. Since tinkering with registry entries is a decidedly dicey business with potentially severe consequences (read: you can hose your system beyond recognition), I'm not surprised that this is the case.

RegClean has also been pulled from Microsoft's website and is no longer supported nor available for download. It is listed as incompatible with Office 2000 and XP, so I'd be cautious using it if you are using either of those versions of Office. Its roots go back to the days of Windows 95 and NT 4.0, and it has probably not seen an update since those times, as the structure of the Windows registry has evolved.

Hope that helps!
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windoctor Gotcha

I have found one flaw in Windoctor's automatic repair algorithm. If it finds a shortcut that points to a file that is now in the recycle bin, it restores the file instead of deleting the shortcut. So imagine this scenario, you decide it's time for a bit of spring cleaning and go through your directories looking for files you no longer need. Of course, you have to open many of them to see what they are and then delete them. Then you run Windoctor. Since you opened the file, there is a shortcut in your recent documents folder (documents item on the start menu). Windoctor finds that and restores the file!

The simple workaround is to empty the recycle bin before running Windoctor.