Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remove File Shortcuts from Work Menu (Excel 2000)

Does anyone know how to remove a file shortcut from the Work menu in Excel. When you go into customize it simply says (list of work files) which you cannot select to remove it. Any ideas?

Thanks Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remove File Shortcuts from Work Menu (Excel 2000)

Hi Chris,

I do not have a "Work" menu on my machine that I can find. Are you referring to the worksheet menu bar and the MRU list?

Is it a custom toolbar?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh ... Chris says with egg all over her face ....

I was working with Word not Excel ... and it is one of the built-in menus you can add to your menu choices from the customize command. It allows you to add document shortcuts for easy opening of frequently used documents. I can see where it could be useful but unless I can remove a document easily, I'm not sure it's really worthwhile. I was just testing the functionality, I don't yet know what happens if you move a document either but my guess is it won't find the file. Excel does not have this same built in menu option.

Thanks for responding but I suppose I should post this to the Word board.
    Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<< Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh ... >>

Exactly my thoughts when I happen to conjure up the "Excel has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message. Similar I think to the "Windword.exe has lost your stuff and you might be able to find it if you can locate the remotely obscure temp file we stored just before you added the last line of code" message. Quite sure that Access has similar stimulating rewards, however I try to stay blissfully unaware of the pies baked over in the Access and Word forums!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

For all its worth while this is here:

CTRL+ALT+-
    the last item is the hyphen character.

When you click this, you'll get a fat hyphen while you're in the text area. Drag up to your work menu and the hyphen will turn into the regular arrow. Click on this and start to drag down. When you're over a file, the arrow turns back into the hyphen. Click the file and its gone.

Be careful. You can delete any menu item this way. But you can't delete submenus or macros on menus.

To get rid of the hyphen just hit ESC.

HTH

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred ... thank you for this ... it worked ... little hidden secrets that MS doesn't tell you about. Funny when you look up Built In Menus ... or Work Menu in the help systems ... it doesn't seem to know what you are talking about <G> ... I appreciate you help. Thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

hahahahaha ... since I teach all of the MS Office programs .. I have to be at least literate in them all. The lounge helps me get beyond my own meager experience. Thanks for the smile Michael.

Chris