5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto enter date in a field (Access 97 Sr2)

How would I do this? The user wants to have a date field in his form that will automatically put the current date in the field. I know how to insert the current date on a form, but what this guy wants is to have a field with the current date in it.

For example, he opens the database and every record he creates during that session has the current date in the date field. When he closes the form, the current date for those records is in the base table, but they turn into a static date after he closes the database. He will enter approximately 500 records every time he opens the database, and he doesn't want to have to type the date every time. But, he needs the date to be a static date so he can do calculations in queries.

I am very very clueless when it comes to code, so if you have code suggestions, please tell me what to do with it.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Auto enter date in a field (Access 97 Sr2)

I think what you want to do is set a default value for a field in a table. You can use either Date() or Now() to get just the date, and the date and time respectively. All you have to do is put it in the Default Value property for the field (in the table design view). If records are always put in using a form, you can set the default value for a control that is not visible to Date or Now, and bind the control to the date field. In either case, the value is put into the table and stays there. We use that approach in nearly all tables we design, and we usually capture who put the data in with CurrentUser(). We also often capture the date/time when a record was last edited, and who edited it. (If your tables are in an ADP or you are using SQL Server the functions to get the current date/time and user are a little different - post and I'll give you those function names). Hope this makes it easier - and you don't need to worry about code unless you want to capture the Edit info.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

By putting either Date() or Now() as the default value for this field in the table, the field is filled whenever a new record is created. YOu don't have to even bother with a control on a form (unless you want to view the information).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes! That's what I want! Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A slight twist on Melanie's situation:

How do I set the default to the Date in "the previous record"? I tried setting the default for the field in the OnExit event, but that didnt work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For this sort of thing I use the afterUpdate event of the control to write the control value to the Tag property of the control and then in the new record I populate from the tag values. I normally use a hot key to do the triggering, as we don't need the same details every record but when we do there are usually 6/7 common fields to fill in

HTH

Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

You mention adding something to indicate the date when a record was last amended in Access 97. I know about date() but that only seems useful for when a particular record was created. How can I setup a field to show when a record was last amended?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Add a field to your table to hold the "last amended" date. I'll call the field DateAmended for demonstration purposes.
    (If you also want to keep track of the user who last amended the record, add a field for the user name, for instance UserAmended)

You need to use a form to set the last amended date (and/or user). Make sure that DateAmended is in the recordsource of this form.
    Add code to the AfterUpdate event of the form:

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
    DateAmended = Date
    ' Any other code you want goes here
    End Sub

Super Moderator
    Thanks

HansV has it right if your tables are stored in Access - you need to use a form. In SQL Server (or an ADP using the MSDE), you can use a trigger to do the same thing whether the record is modified on a form, by a query/view or directly from the table view.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    That worked fine. Many thanks for the help

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I was incorrect. The =Now() only seems to input the DTG into the Amended field when creating a new record NOT after changing something on an existing record. I already have a field for the date the record was created. What I need is a field to show when the last update/change/modification was made to an existing record. I have the field already setup in the master table with the name "Amended". I have that field in the form I'm using. I just can't figure out the coding to make it work correctly. I've tried various things in the After Update (and Before Update and On Change) but nothing I've tried seems to work.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It has to be in the before update event of the form.
    The field has to be on the form, eventually set the Visible property to False.
    <pre>Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Me.Amended = Now()
    End Sub</pre>

You have to do it in every form changing the data. Data changed in Table view or Query view can not bee triggered
    Francois

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again. I just realized the reason it doesn't work is my own stupidity. Somehow I imagined that putting the code in the "Amended" field would do the trick. Of course, it won't. When I enter the code into each record I want to track, it works fine. My apologies for my stupidity in not realizing this from the get-go.