New Lounger
    Thanks

outlook & news groups (Outlook 2000 Pro)

I use Outlook 2k pro for mail, calendars and just about everything else it has to offer except for news groups. i want to know if there is a way to use it for news. the only way it works for me is when i click on the news menu item, it opens outlook express. not only is it annoying to have to switch between two different programs, but i think it would be really convenient to have a folder on the short cut bar for the news group i participate in. also, it would be nice to be able to apply all my rules to those messages too. the way it works now, i have to make rules in outlook express as well as o2k. any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dr.X

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: outlook & news groups (Outlook 2000 Pro)

Outlook uses express for news. There is no way to change it. According to the MSMVPs in the microsoft news groups, this will never change, microsoft has no intention of adding news to Outlook.

Even in Express, news rules don't work on mail and mail rules don't work on news.. so there would be nothing to gain in that area.

you can add a button for news to your toolbars or to the outlook bar. It makes it easier to open news. It won't open news to your specific newsgroup.

you could put a shortcut like this on your outlook bar: news://my.newsserver.com/the.news.group
    This works in Ol2002, i think Ol2000 allows internet shortcuts on the bar.

New Lounger
    Thanks

this is terrible. :-( just plain *terrible*
    whos idea was that? all the neat stuff in o2kp and not one single way to include news? wow. that s*cks.
    oh well, i guess i should expect so much from ms.
    Thanks for the info MJ
    :-)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Why is it terrible and expected? Outlook was primarily an Exchange client and Exchange server can do NNTP if the admins want users to have news. If outlook could do news, admins would have a hard time controlling the groups accessed and that creates a business liability. (We removed msimn.exe from all computers to prevent users from accessing news from work. We have a limited number of newsgroups they are allowed to access and we can control access by groups of users.)

Home users can use any (read: better) news client they choose.

Considering problems encountered with pst sizes and sending accounts, I think having news in outlook would of been a huge mistake. You'd risk losing your mail because the newsgroups were too big or would accidently post using your real email address and get tons of sex spam.

Outlook has enough problems of it's own without introducing more problems with a feature only home users want.

New Lounger
    Thanks

well, that all may be true but of all the residential clients i have, i'd say at least a third use o2k at home. it has plenty of features for the home user. i think news would be a great addition to them. perhaps a home version (not express) would be better. but then that would be one more version out there in the wild to worry about. eh, just a thought. ;-)