5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email test service?

Might sound silly, but I recon it would be useful.

Our office emails stopped working and no one told me for several days! This caused a few problems to say the least.

Does anyone know of a website or other service that will automatically send a regular test email once a day, and if possible produce an acknowledge receipt emailed directly to me at home to say all is OK?

Thanks

Re: Email test service?

No.
    But if you have email at home, why don't you send an email to the office and see if you get a delivery receipt back?
    I know our mailserver can be configured to send an email to a specified address based on content rules working on incoming mail, perhaps you could do the same.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If your home computer was always up and connected, you could look for delivery receipts from it.

Another suggestion is to send a message to yourself from work. In most mail clients and servers there is a way to address the message so that it actually goes out to the Internet and back in. For example, on the system where I work, mail to "barber" is routed internally but mail to "int:barber@company.com" makes a round trip through the email gateway.

The next step would be to write a script that sends the message and another that checks for the receipt. Set the scripts up to run as scheduled tasks. Of course, the second script would need a way to notify you (via pop up dialog box if run on your workstation) if all was not well. In Outlook it is fairly easy to write these scripts using (much maligned) VBS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have this problem, as I have more than one user who will let me know within an hour of a failure.

However, I think I would subscribe to a service which sends daily e-mail bulletins, NY Times springs to mind. Set a rule in my office mailbox to forward these, and only these, to my home email.

It's not the neatest solution, and the service could be down for close to 24 hours before you pick it up. Just a thought.
    Granville