New Lounger
    Thanks

Registration Woes (Office XP)

I got made to feel 1 inch tall tonight by Microsoft Australia.

I purchased Office XP when it first came out last year. I had to, because my Uni is moving towards Office XP. I first installed it on a P166, which subsequently made the PC to be so slow as to be useless. Borrowed a motherboard and processor, and reinstalled Office. Kept the rest of my hardware (hard disks, network cards, video cards)

Now I have just purchased a new PC and Office XP required me to re-register. OK, rang up Microsoft Australia. Got GRILLED as to why I was reinstalling. I was then told that every time I wanted to reactivate Office XP in the future I would have to ring up! This included a clean install back on the same PC.

This annoys me. Because Microsoft products are so crappy, as a matter of routine I reinstall it about every 6 months. Have done so all the way back to Win3.1. I have legitimate copies of all my Microsoft products. I forked out $330 for a licence of XP to be now grilled when I want to legitimately reinstall it. I now know that I should get a pirate copy for $20 and not have to go through the hassles and grilling every time I want to reinstall.

Sigh.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registration Woes (Office XP)

That's why quite a lot of people (including me) have decided to stick with Office 2000.

I also reinstall most of my PCs every 6 months or so and although I have perfectly legitimate licenses for Office XP, but it's just not worth the trouble.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I don't understand though why you feel you must reinstall Office every 6 months or so. I've been running Office since the Win 3.1 days and have only needed to reinstall it when another program stepped on the installation (rarely). I run OXP at work and have had no problems with it.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You can save your activation - so as long as you use the same machine all the time (not install it on a new machine) you can restore activation. Just find and save the file called data.dat. It's a hidden file buried in my documents and settings. i also save the registration key, mostly because i own two copies of office and don't want to remember which key belongs to which machine. i can install using either copy on either machine. After the installer is done, I restore the registry key for each machine and replace the data.dat and they are reactivated.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is one of many reasons that I just went on eBay to buy a copy of Office 2000. I would never trust Microsoft code to not get confused and refuse to allow me access to my data.
    Legare Coleman