Star Lounger
    Thanks

DOS and Chinese Office XP

A colleague told me by Email of a strange problem. He has English Windows 2000. After installing Chinese Office XP, he has some Chinese characters appearing instead of the standard DOS characters in DOS windows.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DOS and Chinese Office XP

Have your friend check the active code page in the DOS window. To do this, open a command prompt and enter CHCP. This will display the active Code Page for the command prompt - US English should be 437. If it's not set to the correct Code Page, it can be manually changed at the command prompt on a per-session basis. Also check the Regional Options in the Control Panel for code page conversions.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

I don't see where in regional settings there is a place to set the code page for DOS prompts. Couldn't he put the command chcp 437 in his AUTOEXEC.NT file if the DOS prompt comes up in the wrong code page?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I believe the regional settings are system wide and affect command prompts as well. I can't say for certain because I don't change them on my systems - never a need to.

The command could be inserted in the AUTOEXEC.NT to affect all command prompts at startup - if nothing else is affected that may be the way to go.
    -Mark