2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need a sub for Norton

I've used Norton Utilities for years, but the anivirus is attacking the new Novell software used at work, and it's installation causes boot problems by overwriting network files.
    Can I have opinions on what's a good substitute as an anivirus program, preferably with a great set of disk tools? Something not so invasive as Norton's is?
    Appreciate the time.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need a sub for Norton

In a word (or two): AVG, by Grisoft. And even better: it's completely free (within the licensing guidelines).
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>: it's completely free

I think they dropped the "free" around the end of year 2001.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I checked to make sure I wasn't seeing things when I was on their website last night -- there is indeed a free version, but only if you are not in a European country:

<hr>For users coming from Europe (except United Kingdom) we offer a fully functional 30-day Trial version of AVG 6.0 Professional Edition.

For users coming from all other countries, we have a special offer - unlimited AVG Free Edition.<hr>
    I don't know if it's crippled in relation to the trial version they mention, but it certainly doesn't look that way.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I firmly believe that in most areas (except Linux) you get what you pay for. Even if it is still free...

My recommendation is TrendMicro's line of AV products. I do not have personal experience with the enterprise versions, but they are priced more reasonably that Norton's comparative line. The PC-Cillin workstation product is far less intrusive and consumes far less system resources than either McAfee or Norton, thus contributing to a more stable system. (No commercial interest in TrendMicro, just a satisfied user.)