New Lounger
    Thanks

Assigning times to tasks (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

Sorry if this has been previously discussed but...
    I am hoping to set tasks for subordinates to complete by certain times of the day rather than dates. Is this possible?
    Also if I set the recurrence to be on a weekday and it falls on a public holiday will it be shifted to the next workday or do I have to do that manually? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Assigning times to tasks (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

I'm not sure what you mean by "rather than date." You mean you don't care what date the task is assigned as due or start? You want it every day?

All the date fields on a task are actually date/time fields, so time is available to you. You'd need a custom form to set and display the time component. Getting this distributed to your users and avoiding security can be a challenge. I think Sue Mosher's book on Outlook in 24 Hours has something close to what you want to do.

If I recall correctly, recurrance will drop a task into a Holiday.

New Lounger
    Thanks

To clarify what I mean - Say I want a staff member to complete a series of monthly tasks, the first task due by 1pm on the second working day of each month, the next task due the same day by 3pm, followed by another due 11am on the sixth working day of each month. These tasks are independent and recur monthly with the recognition of public holidays. Naturally I would like them to get reminders of the due date and time. Simply put, I wish to make use of Outlook to manage my staff by assigning specific tasks to each person that have specific deadlines of date and time of day that I can monitor the progress of.
    I've tried entering the time in the due date field (e.g. 27 Mar 02 2:00pm) but it gives an error message about not being a valid date entry. I guess what I'm after is a combination of an appointment where you can set the time and have recurrences but not show it as an appointment but rather a task that is assigned to another person. I hope this makes sense.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Those controls are formatted for the date part only. You can't change this because the main page of a task form is locked. You'd need to create your own page, probably duplicating the main page, with the addition of your time controls. Even then, I don't think this won't support alarms.

The whole process is a little too complex to lay out here. Mosher's book would get you 95% of the way. I'm sure plenty of folks here could help with the rest.