4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet over Lan

I have 2 PCs, both with Windows 98. I have both connected using a LAN, currently with fixed IP addresses. I have a 2nd network card in one of the PCs with a broadband internet connection running into it - which works fine on that PC.
    Is it a relatively easy task to set the 2nd PC up to connect to the internet through the first PC. Can Win 98 do this or do I need extra software? I tried selecting "Connect using LAN" & putting the fixed IP address of the 1st PC in the address box - but this didn't work.
    Any help, or advice on software to use would be much appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internet over Lan

Yes, you can run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) that comes with Win98, but it's flakey software. Some folks get it to work the first time, others never. It would be preferable to purchase a small switch to handle the task. The broadband box would plug into the switch as would both pc's. If you already have a hub or switch, you can do this now. One word of caution, I think the ethernet cable that comes with these broadband boxes are crossover cables, so you can't use that cable to plug it into a switch: find another cable.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply Dean,

I have an 8 port hub which I network the 2 PCs with, but if I put the 2 PCs and the cable in the hub and set the PCs to automatically assign IP (which is what the cable needs) - the PCs wouldn't see each other and the first PC only would pick up the internet - haven't tried using a piece of regular network cable though as I didn't realise theirs could be twisted pair, thanks for that tip.
    If that fails I'll attempt to configure the ICS - now I now know theoretically Win 98 can do it! I could remember somebody telling me 95 couldn't and thats where my knowledge on the subject ended!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You know, another option is to purchase one of those nice little all-in-one devices that has a switch, router, firewall, etc. all built in.

I'm guessing that your ISP is only giving you one IP address with which to work. If you were to plug the broadband box into the all-in-one box, the all-in-one would get the single ip and NAT the rest of your computers.

Either way, good luck!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds good - I might look into that at some point. At the moment it's for home use and mainly for if anyone else in the family needs to use the internet while I'm busy using the first PC. Thought I might as well make the most of the internet now I have finally got rid of my 56k line!
    Thanks for your advice though - I'll try and remember to post a reply post to say that I have it working (assuming I'm successful!).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, a couple of (free) suggestions. Software 602 has a free product - up to 5 users - called LANSuite which you can use to share the connection on the pc with the 2 NICs. It also has a couple of security features although I am not sure how good they are. The other suggestion if you can lay your hands on an old 486 or early pentium is a linux based firewall, gateway, etc device. Its only a 20Mb download and you can get it from IPCop.

Either of these should do what you want.