2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Urgent help needed with Sections - Content deleted (Word 2002)

Hi,

Attached is a Word document which contains 6 pages. Each page has been created as a seperate Section with it's own Section Header and Footer.

The problem I am having is when a user highlights and deletes the text within that section, the text is deleted along with the entire section header and footer. This is causing major usability problems. The only way around it, is to carefully highlight the text using the keyboard and ensuring the entire line isn't deleted.

This is an urgent problem and any help really would be much appreciated [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Urgent help needed with Sections - Content deleted (Word 2002)

The problem in the attached document is because you do not have a paragraph mark at the end of each sentence before the section break. I recommend never putting a section break on the same line as text, but instead placing a section break with it's own carriage return.
    Also, it helps to always work with your show/hide turned on so that you can see where your returns and section breaks are. If you delete the section break, you are going to delete the header for the section break.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Another question is why six sections? If it is only to change the header/footer, there are almost certainly better ways of doing that.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi GF,

Thanks for the reply [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I am a little confused as to how to achieve this. If you have time, could you show me on the document I attached then repost it? I would be really grateful.

Thanks [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charles,

Well, the project I am working on requires 6 different sections. It would work perfectly if it wasn't for that fact that when a user attempts to select and delete all of the text on the last line of a section and accidentally selects the whole line, the entire section header is deleted along with the text.

Any ideas on how to get round this?

Thanks, Chris

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First turn on the show/hide button on the Standard Toolbar. It's a button with a paragraph mark on it. With that turned on, you should see the section breaks in the document as well as carriage returns or paragraph marks at the end of each paragraph.
    I have left sections 4-6 the way you had them and fixed sections 1-3. Notice that the first three sections have paragraph marks at the end of the line of text followed by one empty paragraph mark before the section break. Since word captures all kinds of formatting in the paragraph marker, I recommend leaving one or two empty paragraph markers at the end of each section and definitely at the end of your document.
    Now in one of the first three sections, try selecting the line and deleting it. You will see that the section (and section header) remain.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks GF [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I was a little slow in missing that one. Of course, the user will still need to be careful not to accidentally select and delete the section break, but your solution certainly makes this a lot more difficult. I have also added a bit of paragraph formatting to the section break which gives the whole line a grey background. Hopefully this will do the trick [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again,

Chris