Thread: .php?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

.php?

I received a .php file. What is it; & how do I open the file in a Windows based system? (It shows an MS Publisher file extension logo, which must be due to association with that app as installed on my computer, but that app also does not recognize that extension.) Someone please help. Thanks.

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .php?

It's not likely to be a Publisher file, even if Windows recognizes it as such. PHP is a newer scripting language for web pages, much like ASP pages - what that means is that it contains database calls to construct the page that you are viewing on the fly. If you look at the browser address bar when you're viewing a Woody's Lounge page, for example, you will see .pl at the end of the filename, which indicates a PERL page.

Be very careful with it. Verify the sender intended you to have that page. Since it contains scripting, it could potentially be harmful when opened.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had a very similar conversation to this at work last week when one of my colleagues received one of these .PHP files. He said it was supposed to be from something called "Publisher Home version" or something very similar. I never did find out what application had produced the file.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

PHP extension is Paper Project Format and created by Microsoft Picture It! program.

For more information, Q308529

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It could be either:

filext.com .PHP

PHP Script [Also .PHP3 & .PHP4]
    MS Picture It! Publishing Project File