Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup Templates

We have a shared workgroup templates folder on the server. In Word 2000 you get tab for each folder under the root shared folder. However, going 1 level lower, word shows all the files even though they are in different folders. The folder structure is similar to
    Templates
    Projects
    All the files in folders 123, 456, and 789 show up under the project tabs without any reference to which folder they came from.
    Any way around this? Without moving 123 etc. up to the template dir.

Thanks

Re: Workgroup Templates

There is not any way around this. Word's template structure is limited to two level, the Templates directory, and the Folders in it. Any templates in those folders will show up when you click on the tab.
    See the diagram in http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

If you have more folders than will fit on two rows of tabs, the last tab in the back is "More" and clicking on that will give you all of the Folders in the templates folder.

When I'm talking about the templates folder, here, I mean the User Templates, the Workgroup Templates Folder, and the virtual folder that Word 2000 uses to hold its virtual templates.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That was what I was afraid of. We seem to have too many folders. I guess we will have to use folders and unique names.

thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I'm understanding clearly what you're after, your setup is similar to ours. To get the individual 123, 456, 789 tabs to show, they must be on the same level and not subfolded within each other, you then all you would need to do is set your workgroup template path so that it reads: templatesprojects. This will allow you to see the tabs 123 | 456 | 789 when you go into File | New. However, as you were thinking, perhaps giving those tabs more descriptive names instead of numbers would help out greatly and if doing that, you might could eliminate Projects as a folder and just have all your folders directly under Template. Nothing more fun than strategizing delivery to the masses, huh?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You lost me there. You are right this is much easier with visuals. Let me try to clarify. The tree looks something like this
    +Templates
    --+Projects
    +Standards
    +Marketing

There are a lot of folders. That is why we where trying to move some of them under a group heading like project. Hoping that under the project tab we would see folders that we could drill into.
    Doesn't work that way it seems

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahhh, I see what you've got now. Well, my next thought would be, since you've grouped them in major categories as you have, are access to them departmental by chance - meaning that every user doesn't need access to every folder? If you were that lucky, you could stay structured just as they are and get by ok by pathing them to the appropriate folder, but I rather suspicion you have people that need access to say Projects, Standards and Marketing simultaneosly which creates the rub. And you're right, it doesn't seem to work. [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Not completely germane to the problem at hand, but hopefully of interest:

You aren't wed to using the baffling virtual folder that Word 2000 provides.

Instead you can create your own template directory structure set up as you choose (for example it could be identical to the one you used under Word 97). Then just make sure that your users all are pointed to the correct template locations under Options/File Locations.

This approach makes particular sense if you are working in a customized environment where you are providing your own templates, rather than the default ones Word provides (and you don't want your users to see the default ones).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you really have that many templates then there is a nightmare task for you to maintain them all. Have you thought about combining groups of them into single templates where the different contents are chosen by inserting an autotext from a dialog that appears as a new file is created.

An example of this is a single template which contains only the boilerplate text that is common to all but has 25 different sets content held as autotext entries. We use such templates for things like MIL-STD-498 software documentation where the headings and contents are prescribed by a standard and the user can choose which document type they want from the one template.

The benefits are that styles, company names, addresses etc can be changed in one place rather than 25 thus reducing maintenance time considerably.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

We've done something quite different on our site.

Instead of relying on the File, New template directories, we have a user dialog for new documents. The user presses a button on the taskbar to initiate this; the dialog box has a number of different buttons for different classifications of documents; within each classification, there is a tab index on the top.

A user can create their own favourites folder, so that 95% of the time, once they're set up, they need no further navigation.

Customising the interface this way obviously has a big cost in setting up- but it has big advanatages to the user, and it helps us to control quite easily what the user sees, and how it is organised.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One other thing you can do. I've never liked the File/New to select templates (although it may be necessary when you have numerous templates). Instead I put a new menu on the menu bar. Then I use a macro to bring up a new document based on that template & put that macro on the menu bar. Since you can use shortcut keys to access the new menu, you save a couple of steps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What we have done is to set up a Word document that contains hyperlinks to templates. The document acts like an index.htm web page. The opening page can have links that are linked to bookmarks within the document. The opening page links would be names of categories of templates. When you click on a category, it goes to a list of links listed under the category name. Clicking on one of these links would open a template.

The nice thing about this approach is that you can use a descriptive name for the links and can even add an explanation under the link to describe what the template is used for.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent feedback. I like, I like and benefit from it myself. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's an excellent technique. Do you think you could take a screen shot & attach it?

Thanks

Or even attach a sample of the index page?[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do your hyperlinks open a new file based on the template or the template itself? Did you need code to get the new file option?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast