Thread: c:\windows\inf

New Lounger
    Thanks

c:\windows\inf

Am I correct in thinking that the above folder contains backup of files prior to upgrading windows? If so, and the upgrade was successful, I guess this can be deleted on PCs with a lack of space.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: c:\windows\inf

No! Don't delete it!! This folder contains setup information for most of your hardware, and many other things that Windows needs configuration information for. The space savings from deleting this would be exceptionally small anyway, since these are all text files that are around 1kb in size.

If you need space, ssearch your hard drive for *.BMP, *.AVI, *.MOV, and other media file types. By7 and large, you don't want to delete anything from the Windows folder unless it's a last last last resort!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    What do you do with the temp folder in the windows directory ?
    I have once a user with 14000 files in his temp folder.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Any thing in the "temp" folder can be deleted, this folder has been around since day one, and is just that temp information that is no longer needed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Going along with Dave's information, I tend to clean it out periodically. I take an extra step in setting up a Windows machine and move the location of the temp folder to a completely separate partition, or barring that, to a root directory of its own for easy access through Windows Explorer. I also direct other applications to use this partition for junk, such as Photoshop (the scratch drive), Internet Explorer (Temporary Internet Files), and a few others that want some space of their own. By setting a global system variable and rebooting, the Windows folder doesn't acquire unneeded bloat. Sadly a lot of programs leave crud behind on the hard drive and don't clean up after themselves (much as my kids do).

<pre>SET TEMP=E:
    SET TMP=E:</pre>

This allows me to use the temp folder by simply specifying a drive letter. I'm lazy, I admit it, and that's less typing. When you dump the contents of the temp folder, if an application is using something that is in there, it will prevent you from deleting it because it's in use. In all the years that I have been dealing with "modern" versions of Windows (from 95/NT3.51 and up) I've never had a problem by blowing out the contents of that directory - with one exception. I used to have a batch file run from AUTOEXEC.BAT in 9x machines to clean it out automatically at startup, and that was usually fine too - but some programs dump files there when doing a software installation, and if you clean it out at boot time, the files that they attempt to install aren't there anymore. Even that, though, is a minor issue these days with newer install routines.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I regularly delete all contents of the /Windows/Temp folder without (so far) any bad consequences. I know that Excel writes some temporary files to folders within /Windows/Temp and deleting those folders and files has sometimes cleared up some of my mistakes with code. All for it here...