Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word Question

jmatson

Word Question

I use the End key to get to the end of a line in Word. How do I go the other way and get to the beginning of a sentence without using the mouse or arrow keys. What would be the key combination?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Question

Home? that's what i use.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a list of the shortcut keys for moving around in a Word document, from the MS Word Help:

<pre>Move the insertion point
    Press To move
    LEFT ARROW One character to the left
    RIGHT ARROW One character to the right
    CTRL+LEFT ARROW One word to the left
    CTRL+RIGHT ARROW One word to the right
    CTRL+UP ARROW One paragraph up
    CTRL+DOWN ARROW One paragraph down
    SHIFT+TAB One cell to the left (in a table)
    TAB One cell to the right (in a table)
    UP ARROW Up one line
    DOWN ARROW Down one line
    END To the end of a line
    HOME To the beginning of a line
    ALT+CTRL+PAGE UP To the top of the window
    ALT+CTRL+PAGE DOWN To the end of the window
    PAGE UP Up one screen (scrolling)
    PAGE DOWN Down one screen (scrolling)
    CTRL+PAGE DOWN To the top of the next page
    CTRL+PAGE UP To the top of the previous page
    CTRL+END To the end of a document
    CTRL+HOME To the beginning of a document
    SHIFT+F5 To a previous revision
    SHIFT+F5 To the location of the insertion
    point when the document was last closed

</pre>

Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I gave up on this problem a year ago, but maybe the [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]great minds[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img] in this forum can help.

After installing, uninstalling and reinstalling a piece of software (might be a coincidence), my computer refused to recognize these key combinations
    <hr><pre> CTRL+LEFT ARROW One word to the left
    CTRL+RIGHT ARROW One word to the right
    CTRL+UP ARROW One paragraph up
    CTRL+DOWN ARROW One paragraph down</pre>

<hr>
    I searched the registry for clues. I even tried manually assigning the default behaviors using Tools|Customize|Keyboard. The assignments show up, but the behavior is gone.

I tried one other trick that I learned when I upgraded from Word 2 to Word 6. Word 2 had a PSS macro you could copy to Normal.dot called "SmartQuotes". The macro consisted of two subroutines, "AutoInsertSingleQuotes" and "AutoInsertDoubleQuotes". Word added this capability to winword.exe making the macros obsolete. There was a bug in the keyboard shortcuts, though. The Word 6 upgrade deleted (after asking) any macros it could not convert. The bug was that you could not unassign a keyboard shortcut that was assigned to a non-existent macro using the keyboard shortcut dialog box because the macro did not show up in the box. With the keyboard assignment present, and no macro to call, Word did nothing when I pressed the quote key. Nothing. (just like the ctrl key combos do now) No macro. No default quotes. I solved the problem by creating dummy macros of the same name as the deleted macros. The dummy macros showed up in the keyboard shortcut dialog, so I could now delete the keyboard assignment. The key's function was now restored. This was not a solution for my current problem, though, because the Ctrl key combos are assigned as they should.

I have given up and have learned to live without these combos, but I'm a "keyboard over mouse when doing serious typing" kinda guy and miss them. Any suggestions, Geoff or anyone else?

Thanks

Stab in the dark:

Tools/Options/General
    Option: Navigation keys for Wordperfect users?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOW! I am hopeful that you solved my problem. The program that I "installed, uninstalled and then reinstalled" was QuattroPro. I installed it from a WP Office CD. The reason I had to uninstall was that I only wanted QuattroPro and the first time I installed it, it installed more of the suite than I wanted.

I am not at that computer now, but will be this afernoon. I can't wait to try.

BTW, in case it doesn't work, I am using the original MS Natural Keyboard with a Gateway that used to have their AnyKey keyboard.

ileacy

HotKeys have to be registered before they can be used. This can only be done by RUNNING a program which registers the hotkey. Normally this is done in start up.

This suggests that you have a left over program in startup which is causing the lost function.

The MSDN documentation states that "if more than one programs registers the same hotkey the results are arbritary", it is also described as "russian roulette".

One other possibility. Is your control key actually working properly? eg. do other standard combinations such as Ctrl-A,Ctrl-C,Ctrl-V work as expected.

ileacy

Not likely. Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right work the same in WP.

DougJ

Momma taught me never to assume anything, so maybe a few more questions are in order:

Does the CTRL key work with other key combinations like CTRL+ESC? The problem could be with the CTRL key or the arrow keys.

Is the behavior application specific? Is it just in Word or in Notepad too?

Does it work if you use the other CTRL key? The 2 CTRL keys have different scan codes, so if its a key remapping problem, the other one may not be effected.

Have you swapped keyboards? It could be a general hardware problem?

Do you have the same problem in Safe Mode? If not, then its a program of driver that's loading with the OS.

Keep us posted. I'm curious to see what you find!

dcj2

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

And just in case all these ideas don't help, it could be that these "shortcut keys" were assigned to another application. Usually, it would revert back if you uninstalled the program but maybe not. PC Magazine had a program called Hotkey Detective that would search your hard drive for shortcut keys, then report which apps used which global keyboard shortcuts. It's been a long time & I don't have the URL handy, but start at www.zdnet.com.

Hope this helps.

ileacy

Found it.
    http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,,000OFG,.html

Tested it on W98. Works, but it only finds Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian:

True, I forgot to mention that it only works on those that are in the start menu & the desktop. I have every program somewhere in the start menu, so I forgot about that.]

And you only found it because you never sleep.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

ileacy

Sure I do. I have fallen asleep many times at the keyboard.

ileacy

Actually, it is a little more deficient than that. It only finds hotkeys that are assigned via Start Menu or Desktop. It does not find hotkeys that have been registered by an application.

I have been looking for such a beast.

Been wondering whether I can use GetKeyboardState to trace things like this.

ileacy

One more thought. Try renaming normal.dot. Maybe something is hiding there that is causing the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast