3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Organizer/Styles (Word XP/SP1)

I have modified/created styles in a document that I am planning to use to update a bunch of different templates. I have tweaked the styles so everything lays out exactly like I want it.

I open up the next template and use the organizer to copy the styles. All the styles copy, BUT none of the indenting comes over with the styles! Heading 1, 2, and 3 are all at the left margin.

Why, and more importantly, is there a way to overcome this? I am doing this by writing code to both copy the styles over and modifying the styles with the proper indenting. However, this seems like a LOT of extra work when I have already spent the time getting the indents right when I created the styles in the first place.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Organizer/Styles (Word XP/SP1)

Hi Daryl:
    I don't have Word 2002, but just a couple things to check based on the way past versions worked:
    1. Make sure that your indenting, etc. is actually a part of the style that you copy, as opposed to direct formatting.
    2. Copy the styles more than once. Sometimes the base styles are not copied until after styles dependent upon them are copied. This means that certain styles become based on the normal style because the base styles haven't been copied in time.

One of our knowledgeable regulars, Charles Kenyon, suggests that styles be copied 3 times.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is very frustrating. The formatting is all in the styles and not direct formatting. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I copy, I do not get and indenting. I get fonts, I get space before/after, but no indentation.

For testing I changed tab stops, and the new tab stop gets copied, but existing tab stops do not get taken away.

I am primarily working with Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3. These are all based on the normal style, and I copy that first. Then I copy the styles - no indenting.

It just does not seem to work completely.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Daryl:
    Have you also tried it manually? I am not a VBA expert, but perhaps something in your code is not copying correctly. I could find nothing on the MS Knowledge Base regarding this behavior. Sorry.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried it manually with the same result.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Daryl:
    Hmmm. I couldn't find anything on the Knowledge Base about this. I'm out of ideas.

Thanks

Indenting may be a feature of the formatting in a numbering template. If that is not associated with the style properly, that could be your problem. So, first question is are these styles being used with numbering or bullets?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Heading Styles 1-3 use Outline Numbering and the numbering is linked to Heading 1-3. All of the formatting was done from the Modify Styles dialogue box.

Thanks

OK, that is probably the source of your problem. If you want to continue using automatic numbering, you'll need to do some homework because this feature is very flawed in Word:

See:
    Word's Numbering Explained (mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm)

How to Create a Template, Part II (mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm)

Legal Numbering (addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm)

Seven Laws of Outline Numbering (microsystems.com/fra_sevenlawsofoutlinenumbering.htm)

The following are discussions on the Microsoft newsgroups on numbering:
    Nightmare on ListNumbering Street
    The Joy of Lists
    Relinking ListTemplates
    Outline numbering: restart doesn't restart
    Format Doesn't "Hold"
    (above list compiled by Dave Rado, Word MVP)

ListNumbering Street Revisited

Latest Numbering Discussion See especially posting #3 which contains Dave Rado's concise instructions for setting up heading numbering.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin