New Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted Gambling emails (2000)

Gambling nuisance - my email address features on a number of gambling sites who regularly bombard me with unwanted offers, some of which are impossible to "unsubscribe". Whilst they offer the facility to do so, their site refuses the instruction! Is there a way of blocking or excluding such emails?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unwanted Gambling emails (2000)

The easy thing to do is apply rules to your incoming messages (I believe the function is under Tools, Rules). You can develop rules that automatically send messages that contain certain words or phrases, either in the header or body text, directly to the Delete folder. The messages are still downloaded, but you'd never have to look at them, because they'd automatically be deleted when you exited Outlook Express. Just a thought.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

And if your rule sends said emails straight to the Deleted Items folder and you've added 'Mark as Read' to the rule, you'll never even know you received them unless you go into the Deleted Items folder and investigate.

My 'Unwanted' rule contains literally dozens of people and phrases that eliminate emails from my interest!

Just as a side point - a lot of people use the 'Blocked Senders' list to put blacklisted senders on - I did try this, but found that you couldn't then mark the emails as read, so it kept drawing my attention to the Deleted Items folder with the bold and number. I very quickly reverted to my trusty rule!
    Beryl M

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for interest and response, but where do I find the "unwanted" rule?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest there was one set up automatically - you have to do it yourself. This is only complicated the first time you do it, so don't be put off by the length of the following instructions! In OE6 - earlier versions will be similar:

<UL><LI>Click on Tools, Message Rules, Mail, New

<LI>In the top box, choose the conditions you want to specify, eg when a message is from someone, or contains certain words in the body, or contains certain words in the subject, or any of the other options or all of them if you want!

<LI>In the second box, click on 'Delete item', 'Mark as read' and 'Stop processing rules' (you'll have to scroll down for the latter two). These are the important parts of the rule - they say delete it, don't tell me it's there and don't later move it again if another rule wants to do so.

<LI>In the third box, you will see that some of the specifications have 'and' between them. Click on this and change the option to 'messages match any one of the criteria' (otherwise it will only work on messages that have all the specifications in the same message!). This will show as 'or' when you click on OK. Repeat for all the 'and's you have showing.

<LI>If you have specified 'from people' there will be a link saying 'contains people'. Click on this and enter specific addresses you wish to delete; this can be a complete address, eg 'someone@microsoft.com', or just 'microsoft.com' if you never want to see an email from anyone at microsoft again! After typing each entry, click on Add; you can continue adding addresses until you run out of people to ignore, or come back later to add more as new people become nuisances!

<LI>If you have specified 'subject contains ...' and/or 'message contains ...' their lines will contain links saying 'contains specific words'. Click on these links and enter the information as you did for people. Again, you can enter anything you like, but be very careful to only enter text strings that will definitely, never, ever, appear in an email from someone you don't want to ignore - longer strings are better than short, and never use single words, you'd be surprised where they can turn up - the word 'gamble' for instance might turn up in a friend's email asking you to take a gamble on whether the office secretary will date the boss! This care needs to be taken in the above, 'from' fields, too.

<LI>In the fourth box, change the name to your preferred name (you may have guessed mine is called 'Unwanted'!).

<LI>Click OK, check the box against it is ticked, then click OK again to accept the rule.

<LI>Then, if you haven't already done so, click on Tools, Options, Maintenance and check the box marked 'Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder on Exit'.[/list]You'll never see an email from these people/containing this text again, and you should now have a good grounding in what 'Rules' can do in Outlook Express - and they outstrip Outlook's version by miles (IMHO)!
    Beryl M

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hate to be a potential party pooper, but nobody asked Basilo whether he had a web-based email account, in which case message rules will not apply.

Secondly, a good rule of thumb is to never respond to these unwanted mailings, even to attempt unsubscribtion (is that a real word?).

Anyhow, it lets them know you exist.. Once that happens you may be flagged, they can become even more relentless, and who knows where your address is being passed onto after that.

J