New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot save Excel workbook (2000)

Running Office 2000 under Windows 98 Second Edition. After virus activity, Excel's File>Save and File>Save As options stopped working - the dialogue box simply doesn't pop up.

The machine is now virus free, NAV 2002, up-to-the-day virus definitions.

I have uninstalled / restarted the PC, re-installed Excel only; no joy. Ditto with the whole Office suite, no joy; re-installed Windows 98, no joy. No such problem with any other Office components.

I've even done a search in the registry to find entries which have a bearing. One or two suspects I deleted between uninstall and re-install; no joy.

This is a workstation on a LAN, using network install f or Office 2000; the other workstations have no such problem, have successfully installed O2K in th same time frame as this problem machine, so there is no problem with the Office installation files / cabs.

About the only thing I haven't done is reformat it all and restart from scratch. Am I going to have to do that, or is there anything else I can check, tweak,/ do to fix this.

Thanx

Thanks

Re: Cannot save Excel workbook (2000)

What virus was it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kakworm / Sircam / Nimda.

Used fix tools to clear; no other affected applications (apparently? Its been 3 months + since the infection, so anything else would have shown by now, I think

Thanks

Try opening Excel in Safe mode:
    Create a shortcut to excel.exe the add the /s switch so it looks something like:
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice9EXCEL.EXE" /s
    This will prevent anything in the startup folders and any addins opening.

Otherwise:
    Can you open the VBA editor when it Excel (Shift_F11) and see any worksheets that shouldn't be open?
    Tools > Addins: Anything there that does not look right or is unexpected?

(I asked which virus as some are known to directly affect Excel, but I can see nothing specific...)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Try selecting Run from your Start menu and enter this command:

<pre>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /regserver
    </pre>

Modify the path to Excel.exe as required. That will not display anything. After doing that, try Execl File/Open again.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thinks, Leif & Legore

I'll try next week.Which virus would hit Excel? I was away for some time when the LAN came down with arash of viruses, anf maybe it stems from back then.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I searched for a virus containing "Freshmen" with no hits. I changed it to "Freshman" and got one hit concerning a Trojan. If I remember correctly, I believe it was a back door access virus. Poking around more, there are numerous viruses which insert themselves into eml, so it could be any one of several.

Didn't save the link, soon as I find it again, will post it here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the link with the description of the Freshman virus:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_98539.htm

Who knows whether this is it or not.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again to Lief and Legare; also to Michael.

I tried Legare's suggestion; got a re-install of Excel (from the LAN Admin install) This advanced me nowhere. The source files are OK; I have installed Office from there since the problems with this workstation appeared, and there is no funny behaviour anywhere else.

Used Lief's Suggestion: the /s switch starts it in safe mode. Hooray! You have to confirm the user name, but then Excel works normally.

Checked ALT-F11 for VBA. There was a "Personal.xls" workbook; deleted it. Tried normal start, still in the "NoSave" / "No SaveAs" mode. Went to the C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeXLStart folder' nothing in there. Then to C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART folder; there was a workbook there. Sorry, forgotten name, but I deleted it.

There were no other workbooks around in any other template folder, so I tried normal start again. BUT the safe nmode switch lets it work. I've looked at the basic workbook options / properties both from the toold menu and in the VBA editor, can't see anything that affects save routines.

Now that we can work normally with the /s workaround it's not so critical; but its intriguing / frustrating. Can anyone throw any more light on it, maybe point me to a solution.

Thanks again

Thanks

Start Excel normally (not safe mode)
    Tools > Add-ins
    Anything listed there? If so de-select them one at a time and test your save function.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

I have recently also experienced a baffling problem - every time I opened a workbook and closed Excel it crashed even though I had used the same workbooks many times before. I also used Norton 2002 for a full virus check and a complete Windows checkup - no luck. I then also tried the Excel 'repair' options and re-installed Office 2000 several times (even removing it completely) -still no luck. So I was pleased to sort this out myself (eventually).
    There are certain bits of Excel that remain even if you remove it completely and re-install - things like custome toolbar settings, recently used file lists, add-ins etc. The problem you report is almost certainly related to some of these 'carry overs'.
    You chose a good place to start by removing thigs in the XLSTART folder - but do you know that there may be lots of these folders? There is one for each User 'profile' - you may still have something in your profile! Also, have you tried adding the 'File -SaveAs' as a custom option to an existing toolbar to see if that option works? i.e. right-click on an existing Excel commandbar in the top panel (e.g. the 'Standard" bar), select 'Customize' at the bottom of the displayed list, click the 'Commands' tab and in the right panel drag the 'Save As...' entry onto the end of the Standard menubar in the top panel.
    My problem was due to a misbehaving add-in (I had installed Adobe Acrobat recently) - after I removed it from my profile XLSTART my Excel2000 returned back to it's 'normal' self.
    Hope this helps.

zeddy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Locate all your .xlb files and rename them to .OLD. See if that helps.

Read the text below, anythiing you haven't tried yet?

Try opening Excel without any addins or hidden workbooks:

Start, Run,
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /Automation

Note you may have to change the path.

If your error disappears, there is either an add-in or a (hidden) workbook that is loaded upon XL's start, which bothers you.

- Try locating the XLSTART directory, move everything from there.
    - In XL: Tools, Addins, note the ones checked and uncheck them one at the time, each time restarting XL
    - In XL, Tools, options, general. Check if a path is entered after "Alternate startup file location". Clear it.

Another option is to open XL in Safe mode:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /Safe

Also, you might try:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /Regserver

Finally, this is what MS has to say:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q280504
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association