New Lounger
    Thanks

Regestry back up

Is there a way to back up a copy of the regestry on a floppy or to a cdrw. Once you restore the oldest copy of the regestry throgh scanreg/restore the copy is replaced by the new one.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Regestry back up

There are multiple ways to backup your registry to a floppy or a CD. I am not sure if a floppy is large enough -- I really have not tried it. But a CD is definitely large enough.

The best way is to copy user.dat and system.dat on to the removable media. You may want to open regedit and Export the entire registry to the media as well.

Alternatively, you could copy the cab files in the hidden WindowsSysbckup folder. By default, the registry backup files are rb000.cab through rb004.cab in this folder.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Regestry back up

>Is there a way to back up a copy of the registry

Pasted below is my cumbersome 98BackReg.bat file. This runs in DOS mode as part of my AutoExec.bat, before Win.COM gets loaded.

Don't be thrown off by the percent-YR stuff - I set year, month and day variables at boot up, so that a fresh registry (and INI etc.) snapshot is made each day, leaving me an audit trail.

Regarding size, I clean my registry regularly, so it oughtn't to be bloated. The two *.DAT alone consume 1,978,541
    bytes in a PKZip format zipped archive file.

<pre>REM W98BakReg Christopher Greaves Wednesday, November 12, 1997
    :: Monday, November 26, 2001
    :: back up the registry and user configuration files

if "