Evvia

Word2000 - Go To function

I am using Word 2000 on a Windows 2000 system. In earlier versions of Word, I liked using the Ctrl-G (Go To) feature to quickly move to new pages within lengthy documents. The Go To field appears to be a "sticky" field in W2000 in that the previous page information is still there the next time I try to use it. Instead of highlighting the previous page number, I have to backspace to delete it.

Does anyone know if this is a setting that can be changed or is it a new "feature"?

Thanks,
    Cathy Selmi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word2000 - Go To function

Cathy,

I can't help you on this one- but have you tried to "Document Map" feature in Word 2000 (View, Document Map)? You *may* find that better to use than the "goto". (It was a feature in older versions of WOPR- Woody has complained that MS have never acknowledged lifting it from him).

Using it well depends on the document having been set up properly with a good structure ans styles.

Failing that, it would be a very simple VBA routine, especially if you only ever used page numbers.

And, fwiw, I can use F5 for the same (only one key to press- wow).
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

To expand on a "simple VBA routine":

Sub gotoPage()
    Dim iPage As String
    iPage = InputBox("Go to Page:")
    Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToPage, Which:=wdGoToNext, Name:=iPage
    End Sub

Then Tools, Customize, Keyboard; Select "Macros" from the categories, and "gotoPage" under the list of macros; click in the "new shortcut key" box, press ctrl + G, and click "Assign".

You have a new "goto page" function activated by Ctrl + G, without the "Sticky" page number.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Sorry, I can't tell you how to do that either. I think we're stuck.

One other way of quickly moving around in a document is by using the Vertical Scroll bar. If you have properly used heading styles, it will give you section headings as you scroll past.

See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/style...rticalscrollbar for more on how to use styles in navigating within a document.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Just after I posted my last note, I ran across the following quote from Woody Leonard Teaches Office 2000:

"While it's true that Microsoft put a Document Map feature into Word 97, the whole thing was so badly botched that only a masochist would live with it. Here's the primary problem: Word 97 takes it upon itself to scan every document as it's opened and assign heading levels to all the paragraphs. By doing so, any heading levels you've assigned are thrown away--and there's nothing you can do about it."So here's a word of advice. If you use DocMap on a particular Word document, don't let anybody with Word 97 (or any earlier version of Word, for that matter) open the document. As soon as your carefully DocMapped Word 2000 document is opened in Word 97, all the level formatting will be irretrievably lost."

Kind of scary!
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kind of [img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]?!?

One selling point of my office's upgrade from 95 to 2K and preaching the gospel of styles is use of the DocMap. Has anyone seen if DocMap is affected if it's closed before saving and sending out?
    Karen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cathy:

Allen Wyatt, who publishes WordTips, came up with a solution for the "feature" you describe. The newsletter is at http://www.vitalnews.com/wordtips/. The macro replaces the EditGoTo command & will open with the box selected.

Sub EditGoTo()
    '
    ' EditGoTo Macro
    ' Jumps to a specified place in the active document
    '
    With Dialogs(wdDialogEditGoTo)
    .Destination = ""
    .Show
    End With
    End Sub

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting this.
    I'm pretty sure this code originally came from Robin Trew, and was posted on the old Lounge here as well.

I was racking my brain earlier this evening trying to recreate it but couldn't - the tricky part is that "Destination" is undocumented in the sense that it's not listed as one of the arguments for this dialog...[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What we need is a Hacker's Guide to Word 2000 (or 97) & beyond. I pretty sure I got this from WordTips, but I'm not in front of the right computer to check right now.

Evvia

Thank you for all your great responses. When I have a minute, I'll try out the macro and see how it works.

I'm a trainer and we do show the users Document Map; everyone thinks it's a great feature and some are even using it! One problem we have is that many of the documents do not use headings or heading styles, so I'm not sure if Document Map will work for them.

This was my first time visiting The Lounge and posting, and it was a great experience! Thanks again ... I'll be back