New Lounger
    Thanks

Phantom tables in the Relationships window (Access 2000)

When I bring up the relationships window, I often find that one of the tables appears with 4 or 5 additional and redundant instances of itself, even though I previously saved the display with only one instance of the table. For example, I have a table named "Staff" that's related to another table in my database. I will show it in the Relationships window, then save and exit the window. But when I open it again, it will display not only the "Staff" table, but also four other tables labeled "Staff_1", "Staff_2", "Staff_3" and "Staff_4," so every time I open the Relationships window, I have to delete those four other tables. Why does it do that, and how can I prevent it from continuing?

Thanks for reading this, and thank you in advance for any replies.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom tables in the Relationships window (Access 2000)

Normally, a tablename like Staff_1 indicates a multiple join to the same table, such as when you have a Team record that contains a field for employee ID and also a field for the employee ID of that person's supervisor. The first employeeID field might be shown joined to Staff, while the supervisor's employeeID might be shown joined to Staff_1. Both fields are actually related to the same table, but it would be confusing to try and show it that way. Each instance of the same table in the layout has to have a unique name, which is why you see Staff_1, Staff_2, etc.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom tables in the Relationships window (Access 2000)

Thank you for the reply and the explanation. In my Relationships window, each of the multiple tables (Staff, Staff_1, etc.) are all shown as being joined to the same field in the other table, not to two separate fields as you would expect. That's why this was so baffling to me. However, after you explained how these things can arise, it occurred to me to try deleting the relationship line between the "clones" of the Staff table and the main table, before I deleted the cloned tables from the window, and it WORKED!!!! The next time I opened the Relationships window, the clones weren't there.
    Charlotte, you're the best. Thank you.