2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer crash when deleting large number of files

Since I got a CD burner, I have frequently had occasion to copy hundreds of MB of files to my hard drive in order ot burn them onto a CD-ROM. But when I am done and delete the files for the hard drive, Windows Explorer locks up. The task list dialog box shows that Windows Exploere and Explorer are both not responding. Ending Windows Explorer as a task causes Windows to do a partial reboot and lose all the programs running in the system tray including VirusShield and ZoneAlarm. Not exactly a happy or secure situation if I am online.

I think the problems started when I got the CD-ROM burner. I have had two burner software packages on the computer: Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4, which came with my first burner. That burner quit. I got another burner which came with Ahead Nero software. This burner was not supported under Easy CD Creator, so I deleted it and installed Nero. Both of these packages have a Windows Explorer-like interface, and I suspect that there may be some resulting software conflict.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer crash when deleting large number of files

I guess your CD burner may have something to do with it, but I have the same problem on a notebook with no burner. I'd be very interested in any feedback you get.

Thanks

I installed a CD burner that came with the Adaptec software and the PC kept freezing. So I changed it for another that came with the Nero software, and still had problems. But the manual for the second one contained the advice to try unchecking the DMA (direct memory access) box for the CD re-writer drive if there were problems. I did that and now everyrthing is fine. (Go to the System icon in Control panel, find the drive concerned in device manager. Right click to get properties, then on the Settings tab, uncheck the DMA box. OK your way out.) Can't harm to try it!

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll try unchecking DMA, though it's unfortunate to have to revert to a slower mode especially for an operation as sensitive to disk performance as CD burning..

A peculiarity I've noticed is that when I'm running the CD-ROM burning software Windows Explorer displays multiple copies of the CD-RW drive. Apparently, the CD-RW software somehow bungles up Windows Explorer. The multiple copies appeared when I used Adaptec Esay CD Creator software, v. 4, but continued after I uninstalled that software and began running Nero software. I hope that I don't have to wipe and reinstall Windows to overcome this problem.