3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk space misreporting? (XP Home)

Hi

If I go to Windows Explorer, right-click on my C drive, and select Properties, it tells me I have used 7.1GB of space.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disk space misreporting? (XP Home)

Did you include the page file? The Fat? All the files in the root directory?
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Legare

No. Stupid, eh.

However, I've redone it (after deleting a whole lot of files, and doing a defrag), and now get these figures:
    <UL><LI>I right-clicked on C in Windows Explorer and selected Properties, which gave 6,190,000,000 (approximately).
    <LI>Then I pressed Ctrl+A to select everything on the right, right-clicked on the selected files and folders, and this gave 4,677,000,000.[/list]A whopping 1.5GB discrepancy.

Am I missing something?
    Dale

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you are missing hidden hidden files. Windows hides from you part of its system files and they are "hidden hidden" as opposite of "hidden" that you can see checking appropriate boxes and clicking "advanced" settings. To see this files you can use, for example, UNIX. Example of such files: $MFT in C: root. Sometimes when you use, say, Defrag and watching it carefully you can see the message as "Moving _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM"

But you still have PLENTY of free space; just forget about numbers. Assume Search Companion dog ate these files...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

in a test here, mine we off about a 1/2 gig, then i deleted the older system restore files in System Volume Information and gained back the missing space. Apparently those files are not counted (since normally you can't access them).

Unfortunately, i'm not sure you can change the permissions on that folder since you are using Home. You can empty it by deleting restore points or turning off system restore and turning it back on.

On a related note, i was cleaning off a server today and had 6 recycle bins in the recycler folder. I deleted the older ones and gained 1.6 gigs of space.

Both the recycler and the SVI folder can hog disk space if you reinstall without reformatting.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

say what? are you looking at a windows drive from unix and are you 100% sure you can't see the files from windows with show all files?

The new winexplorer does hide some in special folders, like the Temp internet files, using desktop.ini files. Either delete the ini or use winfile (the old file manager, before win explorer) to see all those hidden files, although they really don't qualift as "hidden hidden", just are hidden from people who don't know the tricks, which is apparently all the paranoid windows haters.

BTW - the winfile from win2k works on xp (and supports long filenames). Not sure about the one from win9x, but it doesn't support long filenames. This is only a problem if you want to change filenames.