2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD file copying (XP Pro)

I have tried to use XP Pro's built in cd copying on my Dell workstation and IBM Thinkpad, to no avail. The Dell has an internal HP dvd-writer, which functions perfectly when writing files from my hd's to cd-r disks using the HP Record now software. Using XP, however, merely writes a list of shortcuts to my actual files. It then stays in a loop, saying that I have files ready to write to the cd. Following this notice simply repeats the shortcuts, with no actual files getting copied to the cd disk. My ThinkPad has a Plextor external USB cd writer. It acts in exactly the same way.

Does anyone have an answer?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD file copying (XP Pro)

How do you copy the files? There are several methods to do this.

For example, in Windows Explorer, you can select (highlight) files you want to copy and choose Edit | Copy (or Ctrl-C on the keyboard), then open your CD drive and paste (Edit | Paste or Ctrl-V) them. Does this method also copies shortcuts only?
    Also you can right-click selected files and, holding the rifgt mouse button, drag and drop them to the CD drive (icon or folder), then from the pop-up menu choose "Copy". Does this method works?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD file copying (XP Pro)

Thanks, Your methods do work, and I use them. I use the automated menus that open up whenever I insert a blank CD-R or CDC-RAM disk in the drives. WinXP gives me the option of opening a writable cd folder using Windows Explorer. I select the files from there, and run into the problems I described.