Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro Can't Log on to NT 4.0 Domain (XP Pro)

I've received a new XP Pro laptop (IBM Thinkpad A30-something-or-other) and am trying to log in to an NT 4.0 (SP 6a) domain at home. None of the other machines (95b, 98SE, ME, NTW) has a problem with this domain, so it must be something I'm missing with XP Pro. I get to:

System Properties
    Computer Name; and the either
    Network ID or Change buttons.

When I finally click the last button, I get this message:

A domain controller for the domain WHATEVER could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly. If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information.

"Details" yields the following:

"The domain name WHATEVER might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain WHATEVER:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)"

What am I missing? And while I'm on the subject, I'm obviously in need of a good book on XP Pro -- any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro Can't Log on to NT 4.0 Domain (XP Pro)

Sounds like the ole NetBIOS issue rearing its ugly head yet again. Try looking at this post. You might also make sure that Simple File Sharing is disabled on the XP box. It's known to cause problems like this on a domain. There is also a lengthy thread on this topic here.

This Microsoft article may also be of use in getting the problem solved.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

There was enough info in all that you pointed to for me to get connected to the domain. I think the clincher was checking the box to allow NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

Like real life, though, that success caused another problem. Now there are apparently two profiles of yours truly (the only user) on this laptop: Jim Kerwin and Jim Kerwin.GenericDomain. If I'm logged on to the domain, XP assumes I'm somebody else. For instance, when I fired up Outlook 2002, it assumed that I was using Outlook for the first time and tried to go through setup. It doesn't know that the files Outlook should use are in another folder branch.

How can I get these two thing reconciled, or, better, yet, combine them into just one profile?

Jim

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What I would try first is to move your Outlook PST file to a mutually accessible location - i.e. shared documents. I do this when I am the sole user of a workstation so that I can access the same mail store from multiple OSs and profiles

The other alternative is to point XP to the same user profile for both your networked and standalone configurations. It can be done easily by going into the Users applet in the control panel and specifying a path (your "unplugged" login) to the profile for the networked user.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My 50th birthday is fast approaching, which must account for why I'm operating in DTDM (Dumber Than Dirt Mode) when it comes to implementing your 2nd suggestion (which seems better suited, on first glance, to my particular situation). Try as I might, although it's easy to get into Users, I see no way to specify a path. More help would be appreciated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Could you give me a little more input on how to implement your second suggestion, please? If I log in as Administrator (for either the XP machine or the domain), I can choose Control Panel | Users | Advanced Tab | Advanced, I get the Local Users and Groups window. But at that point, it only shows my profile as a user of the computer, not the user of the domain (i.e., Jim Kerwin, not Jim Kerwin.DOMAINNAME, as it would appear in Windows Explorer).

Since I'd like to point my domain-user name to the "unplugged" profile, and not vice versa, how can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim