New Lounger
    Thanks

Different Page Lengths for Different PC's (2000)

I've sent a 2 page document to a colleague across the country as an e-mail attachment, and when he prints it out, he gets 3 pages - part of page 1 extends onto a second page. Then what I see as the second page gets printed on page 3 for him. I use a Canon S630 inkjet and he has a laser printer.
    I've compared the Page Settings that he sees and they match what I have. He also e-mailed back the file he's received and it still appears to be two pages on my PC.
    What's going on?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark Leffler

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Different Page Lengths for Different PC's (2000)

What is the default font and size on the two different machines? The difference of the normal.dot can make this cank of changes.

Also what is the top and bottom margin settings?

And the difference of the "no print area" on the two different printers may affect the paging.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I believe the default font is Times Roman on both, but how can I check?
    The top and bottom margin settings - for the document they're the same, but I think you mean normal.dot. Again, how can I check?
    The "no print area" sounds promising - how could I find what this is for the two printers. (I suspect my colleague doesn't have access to the manual for his printer.)

Thank you.
    Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How small of a margin are you using at the top and bottom? If you are to small, Word will ask if it can adjust the margins.

To find out the font size, just select any text with the 'Normal' style that has not had the size changed, or open a new document using the normal template and tou will see the font and size.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

A document can print differently on two different laser printers! Factor in a laser and an ink jet -- it doesn't surprise me there's a printing difference. I have documents that when I send to an inkjet user, they see an entirely different pagination in the document than I do.

I strongly suspect that it's a printer issue not a document issue.

SJ Miller

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. A printer issue and not a document issue as SJ Miller writes. I'm unaware of a true fix, but to help you out (i.e., a work-around).

1. Install a printer driver matching your associate's printer. Even though you don't actually have the computer attached to your computer, you can install the driver and choose that printer in WORD. This will allow you to print-preview more accurately. Useful if you exchange documents frequently with this person.

2. Increase your margins -- most inkjet printers require about 1/2 inch or so. Again, you are tailoring your document to your colleague's printer somewhat.

3. PDF it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As has already been mentioned in this thread, pointing Word at different printers (even on the same machine) often results in different pagination.

There is an option in the Tools | Options | Compatability dialog that say "Use printer metrics to lay out documents" and that may be worth a try but I don't hold much hope with this method.

The ONLY way I know to prepare a word file so that the sender can be sure of no pagination issues is to use
    - The same OS and version of Word.
    - Make sure the fonts on both machines are the the same.
    THEN
    you have to paginate the document with the same printer driver that the file will be output on. This will mean that you have to load that printer driver on your machine (even though your machine can't see the printer) and make sure that Word thinks it is printing to it when you are paginating the document. If you don't have the printer available you will need to set the printer to "print to file".
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia