Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Router - No Outgoing Mail

I'm getting a little desparate for ideas. On Saturday I installed a Linksys EtherFast Router (BEFSR41) on my blossoming home network. The purpose for the router is to share the @Home cable connection I have and share files.

Happily, the installation of the router was easy. I accepted all of the defaults, matched the plugs to the holes and off I went. Drives are mapped, internet is available on both computers. I can receive mail just fine.

Unhappily, I haven't been able to send out e-mail from Outlook 2000. The SMTP server is named properly (could I have mispelled "mail"? That's the only thing I'm certain I've done right here), but I invariably get an error message that the "server could not be found", Error Number: 0x800cc0d.

I hope I posted this in the proper forum - frankly, if I knew which forum it belonged in, I may be halfway to the answer. TIA,

ileacy

Re: New Router - No Outgoing Mail

Hi Keely.

Lets start by telling that you that I am working with LinkSys on @home right now without a problem, so, we should be able to get you up and going fairly quickly.

Lets start by comparing your setup to mine.
    To check the setup use Tools|Accounts in Outlook, select the account you have set up for @home and make sure it has been SET AS DEFAULT. Now, click Properties, and then start checking the tabs out.

General Tab: I have mine labeled "@Home Direct" with the Name, e-mail address, and reply-address filled out, and the "include this account" checked.

Servers Tab: My incoming=POP3,Incoming Mail=mail,Outgoing Mail=mail,Account Name=username(email address with @home stripped off),Password=mypass, and Remember Password checked.

Connection Tab: Connect using my LAN

Advanced Tab: Server Ports. SMTP=25, POP3=110, everything else unchecked.

Now click OK to save any changes and try sending out a new message. Let me know the results.

Good luck

Thanks

Since the POP3 and SMTP server names are the same, @Home may be disallowing STMP, which ISPs often do to people suspected not to be subscribers (i.e., spammers). Could the install of the router require some address settings to be tweaked to ensure that the PC is "in" the network?

One problem we have that is in a very unrelated context but could cause the above-described error is a feature of Windows 98 home networking: the computer will assign itself an IP address beginning with 169.254 followed by two randomized octets. If the computer insists on this, and it is incompatible with your internet service, you can disable it by adding the following registry key (all usual warnings incorporated by reference):

Under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesV xDDHCP

Create a new DWORD value named:
    IPAutoconfigurationEnabled

And set it to 0 (that's a zero)

Lots more to know about this at MS:
    http://search.microsoft.com/us/SearchMS25....gurationEnabled

ileacy

This should not be a problem here. ICS is not being used, instead the LinkSys router provides a DHCP and NAT service to the network. The identical names are not a problem as long as the POP3/SMTP ports are set up correctly.

My guess is that the problem is actually caused by the @home account not being set as DEFAULT. You must use the SMTP server on your current ISP. I suspect that there is a left over account for a dial-up ISP that is still set as default.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

is smtp port opened on the router?

ileacy

Sort of. The port is transformed past the NAT and passed out to the net, so the SMTP port is opened on the mail server.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have reviewed my account settings and they reflect all of the things you listed above. The only difference is that I don't have an @Home e-mail account - I've never bothered to set one up since I have four others, two with my own domains. Therefore, my incoming mail server settings on the four accounts are different. However, I am having no problem receiving mail on those accounts.

Is is possible that my outgoing server requires authentication?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

could be. did you use outlook and @home before?

try checking mail, then sending some within 10 min. you'll have the answer [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

See this page for some @home info, as well as other really useful router info.

Can't reach @Home Startup page or Email - HW Router

ileacy

Keely:
    You MUST have an @home e-mail account set up in Outlook to SEND mail. You should have been given a default username@home.com account as part of your service.

SMTP (ie SEND mail transport protocol) servers usually restrict access to within the ISP's own domain. This prevents spamming.

POP3 (receive mail) servers are usually accesable from anywhere.

The other thing you will have to get in the habit of doing is clicking the drop down icon to the right of "Send" and selecting your @home account for sends. If you forget to do this the mail will be stuck in the outbox.

You can unstick outbound mail by opening it in the outbox and resend using the correct (@home) account.

ileacy

PS: The drop down note applies to Replys to existing mail. They default to sending Replys via the service that delivered them.

New mail should automatically go out via @home as long as the @home account is set as default.

ileacy

Troubleshooting @home

Keely:

One other thing worth mentioning, the @home service can be flaky at times. You need to make note of the following information for troubleshooting (and reporting problems to @home). You may need to go to the LinkSys browser screen to get some of the information.

1)Your routers IP address
    2)Your cable IP address.
    3)Default Gateway IP Address. This is the physically closest address to your cable modem.
    4)DHCP server IP address.
    5)DNS server IP address.
    6)Some off @home cable address.

Troubleshooting Procedure is as follows.
    1)Start MsDos Window
    2)You will be using the "ping <address>" command as the diagnostic for each of the following steps. The key symptom you will be watching for is timeouts on the pings.

The following describes the probable cause of timeouts in each case. You must successfully pass each preceding test before moving on to the next.

a)Ping <router>: Problem with YOUR network or router. Check cables etc.
    b)Ping <cable modem IP>: Problem with cable modem or router.
    c)Ping <default gateway>: Problem with local cable plant. If problem persists contact @home service.
    d)Ping <DNS>: DNS or @home routing down. Again[img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]. Wait 10 minutes and try again. If problem persists, get a coffee. Then a stiff drink. Then call for service.
    e)Ping <off @home address>: Problem at boundary routers for @home. See comments for (d).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just in reply to this suggestion that I must have an @Home mail account set up in Outlook, I have to beg to differ. I have used @Home for six months and have never used an @Home e-mail account to send out mail. It is sufficient for authentication purposes for the SMTP server of whatever e-mail account you're using to match the @Home settings, and that you are connected to the service at the time you're sending the mail. In fact, I have always been able to send out mail from various accounts on a number of different ISPs so long as the outgoing mail settings matched those of the ISP.

But thanks for this suggestion in any event!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this suggestion, James - but I'm running into trouble and I hope you've had experience with the suggestions on those pages in practicallynetworked and can assist me a little.

I was able to connect a computer directly to the cable modem and do a ping - my results were "home-www.excite.ca". I wasn't sure what part of that result was actually the DNS, so I've tried inserting both the full form as above and just "www.excite.ca" into my Linksys DNS setting and it didn't work.

There was the further suggestion that the DNS settings on the client comptuers should be changed, but the DNS Configuration tab requires more information than I know - what would I put under "Host", "Domain" and "DNS Server Search Order"? The practicallynetworked page only talks about the Domain Suffix Search Order value.

Are there any other tips you can provide?[img]/w3timages/icons/crybaby.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Troubleshooting @home

Ian:

In reference to your Troubleshooting Procedures posted above, I think I was able to ping the first five successfully, but I have no idea what you mean by "some off @home cable address". In any event, were you able to check out the practicallynetworked pages that JamesB suggested above? I thought they were going to be the panacea to my problems but I'm still lost. [img]/w3timages/icons/crybaby.gif[/img] I think I need the stiff drink regardless of my ping results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast