5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Picture fixing (2000)

I have pictures (screenshots) and shapes (generally arrows) and I want to Group them. However, this option is not available. What is the best way to achieve this so that the picture and shape(s) will not become separated? This has been a constant nightmare for me in writing manuals?!! Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Picture fixing (2000)

Make sure that your pictures are floating above the text, not inline (use Format/Picture..., or right-click the picture and select Format Picture, go to Position tab).
    Select a picture together with all associated shapes (Click, Shift+Click).
    Display the Drawing toolbar (use the button on the Standard toolbar, or View/Toolbars).
    Click the Drawing popup menu on the Drawing toolbar and select Group.

HTH,
    Hans

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There isn't a Position tab on the Format Picture dialog. How can I get the picture to float over text?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You want the <font color=red>Layout</font color=red> tab of the Format Picture dialog box.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the confusion. Stuart already answered your question. I was translating from the Dutch version of Word back into English.

Regards,
    Hans

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whichever way round I try and do this I end up with problems!! So far I can insert a screenshot, add some arrows, float the screenshot over text and then group all items together. However, I then have to add loads of returns around the image to space it out and, if I delete one of the returns, the image vanishes. Also, if the image goes over a page it is 'chopped in half'. I thought I'd try asking once more if there is anything I can do??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might try the following. As in a previous post, I have to translate from Dutch back to English, so my terminology may be off.

With the grouped object selected, select Format/Object... There should be a tab that controls text wrapping (in Dutch Word 97, it is the fourth tab counting from left to right). Select the style where text is wrapped above and below the object (Above/below or Top/bottom?). If desired, set the distance between the object and the text.

A floating object is anchored to a paragraph. You can make the anchor visible in Edit/Options..., View tab. Then, if you select the object, you should see an anchor to the left of the paragraph the object

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ugh!! I'll give anything a try. Thank you. If I can eventually find some sequence that works then, if I have time, I could program it and do everything on the click of a button. It just seems such a pity that there is no ideal solution to this...