Thanks

WORLDOX users: happy?

*** Geoff W: Added url markup ***
    We are considering purchasing WORLDOX document management to integrate with Word 2000 and a few WordPerfects. According to the administrators (see their posts on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldox/), it's fabulous, but I'd like to hear from any users. Is it fast, convenient, and difficult to imagine living without? Or does it make you nuts. Etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WORLDOX users: happy?

We have done some extensive researching and had someone in to give us a demonstration of what Worldox can do for us (but we are in Brisbane, Australia - it may be different where you are).

If you are interested in quick, easy ways of finding documents, without having to use the search functions in Word or WordPerfect, this is really good.

If you ring/email your local Worldox distributor, I'm sure they will be happy to come and do a demonstration for you.

As long as your users get used to filling in all the correct information in the save box in Worldox, you shouldn't have any hassles.

Anyway, I suggest you ring them and see for yourself. If you ask, they may be able to advise you on companies in your area who may not mind you going and having a look at how the system works in the real world.

Have fun!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, sorry late to respond but just saw your post.

My firm uses Worldox 8 we are going over to Word 2000. There are some problems. For one and this may not seem like a big deal but for the users it is.

When they save a word document in worldox it puts the name of the document plus the worldox number which worldox assigns to each document. Once working in the document the user clicks save again. The name of the document now disappears and it only shows the worldox number (example A10004) which is fine except if the user has more than one document open - in the window drop down in word it only shows document numbers and the user does not know which document is which. Therefore the users are not happy. I contact Worldox tech support with this problem 3 weeks ago they still have not help me with this problem.

Another problem we had with word & worldox - worldox would put the document number in the footer and if the user deleted it or cleared it once the document was saved and reopened worldox would automatically put it back in. Which was not a problem with word perfect. This was a major problem when emailing documents that we did not want the worldox number to appear on. We had to take the document out of worldox save delete the worldox number save it then send it by email. After a couple of months Worldox corrected the problem. Now Worldox does not put the document number in unless you execute worldox update macro.

Another problem - if your wdword9.dot (I believe that is correct) is not in your startup on each workstation worldox will not open after a couple of saves in word. You had to get out of word go back in and worldox would then work. This was also corrected.

If you want to know about their tech support maybe you should sent me a private message. Hope this helps.

Pife

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. If I understand this one:

When they save a word document in worldox it puts the name of the document plus the worldox number which worldox assigns to each document. Once working in the document the user clicks save again. The name of the document now disappears and it only shows the worldox number (example A10004) which is fine except if the user has more than one document open - in the window drop down in word it only shows document numbers and the user does not know which document is which.

The title bar shows the WORLDOX "description" field, but the Windows menu lists only the actual file name. When I used DOCS Open, it was the same way. Maybe the integration can only go so far? It would be slick to replace the Windows menu with one that did show the full document descriptions - and probably not all that difficult - but there would be a performance penalty due to the VBA call.

There is a support list for WORLDOX where someone might have more help for you should you become desperate:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldox/>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldox/</A>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post deleted by phanks

Thanks

Thanks, phanks. This is the kind of information we need to make sure our integrators (for any DMS) address everything in advance. Best of luck on your conversion.

Performance. We are going to have to think hard about what to do for our branch office. I agree that saving documents across the Internet would be a drag on productivity. For in-house users, though, I think we already try to create and save all documents on a file server, so the performance hit should be minimal. I understand that WORLDOX saves twice - once to the file server and again to a local "mirror" copy of the document - but I hope (!) that this second save will take just a blink of an eye. I guess if someone were saving bitmaps in the file, I'd recommend creating it locally and adding it to the DMS later. Although we haven't had a planning meeting, I do want to allow that official (not just for those who know how to use the Macros dialog).

Security. I agree that the WORLDOX approach of managing directory-level security by profile group is clunky. Let's suppose I create a salary spreadsheet for the IP group. If I save it as an "IP" profile group document, I have to go to the server to secure the individual file against others with privileges to see "IP" profile group documents. So WORLDOX suggests creating a "Partners" profile group. So now I have to look in two places to find what might more logically be considered an IP-related document. I read that it is easy to search several profile groups at once, so perhaps this is no big deal, but there is a ton of planning involved, and we will never be able to think far enough ahead for "ad hoc teams."

Interoperability. Thanks for the heads up. Having all the software work together is a challenge even now. We probably are not in the market for iManage, though. Consultants have advised us that we'd be fools to bring SQL Server on site without a DB administrator to tend to it ($100K/yr). My partners and I are not interested in going there just for DMS.

Customization. Being an inveterate tinkerer and Word hacker, thanks to Woody, I imagine we might be able to tailor our integration to address some of the frustrations of a plain vanilla installation. I'd be happy to share if we find some solutions for you.