3 Star Lounger
    Flims, Switzerland

Can't remove folder (Pro)

I have recently upgraded my machine from win2k to XP. I chose a 'clean install' rather than an upgrade, because I wanted to start from scratch.

One of the side effects of this is that the old win2k profile folders are still in existence under the 'Documents and Settings' folder, in addition to the new replacement profiles I've created. This does not present a problem in itself, but I would like to delete the old folders.

In one of the old profile folders there is a folder called 'My Wallet' which I believe was created by a Pocket PC sync program.

I can't seem to remove this folder either in the Explorer GUI or through a DOS window. Explorer gives me the message 'Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk', and DOS gives me 'The system cannot find the file specified'. I've removed folders next to this one both in DOS and thru Explorer with no problem.

Has anyone got an ideas as to why this is happening and how I can get round it?

Many thanks,

Silver Lounger
    New York, New York, USA

Re: Can't remove folder (Pro)

The problem with your installation is that you misinterpret Microsoft language. "Clean Install" means "dirty install" in plain English. Only your Windows folder was overwritten, all other garbage remains on your drive. If you want to make really clean installation, you must destroy your C: partition, create a new one and then install Windows on it (if you have only one partition and only one hard drive, you also can destroy your partition and install Windows on empty space). If you want, you can do it - but you must destroy your existing installation.

However, it looks like an errors are on your drive - that's why you can't delete some files. Click Start | Run, type
    chkdsk /f
    and hit Enter. Then restart your computer.
    You can also delete extra profiles: first make sure to delete it from Windows. To do this, click Start | Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | Administrative Tools | Computer Management; Then on the left pane under System Tools | Local Users and Groups click Users folder; on the right pane right-click and from pop-up menu choose Delete all unwanted profiles.
    Then you can safely delete unnecessary folders in "Documents and Settings folder. Do not delete folders associated with existing users.