New Lounger
    Thanks

error message 9738 (office 2000)

I am tring to convert a file from paradox to msacess and am geting a message
    UNexpected error from external database driver (9738)

Where can I find more infor about the error messages ?
    What are the limits of conversion utilities about versions ect.

Don G

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: error message 9738 (office 2000)

You'll need to provide more information. Are you trying to convert the file from within Access? What version of Paradox is the file from? Do you have the Borland Database Engine installed on your machine?

The general tenor of that error message is that Access couldn't properly connect to the Paradox file, and the thing that most of the instances of "external database driver" errors have in common is a link to the version of MDAC installed on your machine. You might try downloading and installing MDAC 2.6 and see if that cures it. If not, and if you're feeling brave, try MDAC 2.7.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

unfortunatly I never did find out what version of Paradox was generating the database,
    I am in the second level support role and the database had passed through several hands before I got it.
    I had tied install the newest we had in the office v9 because of the hints about the borland engine not being installed. I believe that there was another problem not being declared ( after installing v9 of paradox I could not open the fileseven in paradox) . Ultraedit reveled enough about the data to send the researcher back to his souce to get the data in another format, problem sent away client happy I did not learn as much as I would have liked about error handling.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can only handle errors within the scope of the application. Otherwise, you just have to do the best you can to error gracefully. 9738 isn't a normal Access error, although it may be a Jet engine error. I couldn't find a reference to that particular error number in Technet under any topic, so it could be an error generated from the conversion driver for Paradox. In other words, the error may come out of the Borland driver rather than from Office/Access itself. A large part of support is figuring out the problem, and in this case it appears to have been the file format you were passed. What you really need to know is troubleshooting errors when they arise.
    Charlotte