New Lounger
    Thanks

Autotext toolbar (Word 2000)

How do I create a folder within the "all entries" pulldown menu on the autotext toolbar. All of my autotext seems to be in one area when I use the "Tools" "AutoCorrect" "AutoText" keys to get into autotext. Where are the subfolders coming from in the autotext toolbar menu, and is there any way to edit these so that the autotext entries are organized?
    I am painfully trying to make a switch from WordPerfect to MS Word.
    Thanks,
    Tex

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Autotext toolbar (Word 2000)

The autotext entries are arranged into folders according to the style that was applied to it (or the first paragraph in the case of multiple paragraphs) when they were created as autotext.

If the autotext does not include a return (paragraph mark) then you can change the folder it sits in by overwriting the same entry with the same text that has a different style applied to it.

If the autotext does include several paragraph marks then you may be out of luck unless you don't care what style is applied to the first paragraph in the autotext.

This is a clunky area of the application but the reasoning the programmers used was to provide context sensitive autotext entries so that when the cursor is in a paragraph of style XYZ then the autotext entries available will be ONLY the ones that would be used in that style. One day they might think a little harder and come up with a more elegant solution.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One slight variation however Andrew. I created a style based on Normal and called it Mike - for want of a better name. I applied that style and typed a sentence, then added it to autotext. When I am using Style Mike it is the only Autotext entry. However when in Normal Style the entry still appears as a separate heading - Mike - and works fine. Any font changes for that style are however lost.

So this might be a partial solution.

Thanks

The "folders" are the names of the style(s) that the AutoText entries were in when they were saved. See How to add pop-up lists to any Word document, so you can click your way through changes in seconds (mvps.org/word).
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, how about a style that will paste the autotext entry as unformatted text, i.e., just like using the Paste Special key. Or is there some other way to have the autotext be entered without formatting, like Paste Special, unformatted text.
    I am an newcomer to Word, so I'm trying to learn these intricacies.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

AFAIK there is no style to achieve this however...

If your autotext doesn't include a return then the text comes in as unformatted text anyway. The use of the style in this case only shortens the displayed AT entries in the list. You do know that you can still get to all the other entries anyway.

If you record a macro that includes you placing an autotext entry, you will discover that running the code inserts the text without any style information (it just uses the style where the cursor was. This oddity can be fixed by editing the code (to add a RichText:= True) but it shows that you can insert autotext without the formatting if you use VBA.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information. Y'all are very knowledgeable, and I 'preciate the help.
    Tex